Discuss Terminating multiple cables in light fitting or Wago Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
So I'm working on a large domestic rewire / extension at the moment that's been designed by someone else. It's always nice to be working from clear CAD drawings, but along the way I'm anticipating ways in which I might be able to make my life easier at second fix while also trying not to deviate from the plans too much.

With the lighting / smoke alarm circuits, there are some points at which there are lots of cables to join / terminate in one fitting. Normally terminating switch, loop, and power in an overhead light fitting is enough, but some places I've got indicated switch, loop, + power in & 2 x power out, making for 5 lots of 1.5 to terminate in one fitting.

Also there are a couple of smoke alarm fittings with 3 lots of 1.5mm 3 core to terminate.

I was wondering how you lot normally go about connecting up in this situation? I've always been uneasy about using junction boxes in the ceiling (I really don't count them as accessible if you have to rip up the floor or pull plasterboard down), but I do have my hands on a contractors box of Wago connectors along with the boxes.

I'm not sure it's possible to terminate 3 lots of 1.5mm 3 core in a smoke alarm, so I'm thinking to terminate them in a Wago box in the ceiling with a single 3core dropped down for the smoke alarm (as you would with ceiling rose and light), and also to essentially do the same where there are more than 3 cables to terminate in light fittings.

Fully aware this might come across as a beginners question but I really am keen to find the best way to do these things as there are many ways I'm sure you lot skin this cat, so do forgive me!

EZ

So I'm working on a large domestic rewire / extension at the moment that's been designed by someone else. It's always nice to be working from clear CAD drawings, but along the way I'm anticipating ways in which I might be able to make my life easier at second fix while also trying not to deviate from the plans too much.

With the lighting / smoke alarm circuits, there are some points at which there are lots of cables to join / terminate in one fitting. Normally terminating switch, loop, and power in an overhead light fitting is enough, but some places I've got indicated switch, loop, + power in & 2 x power out, making for 5 lots of 1.5 to terminate in one fitting.

Also there are a couple of smoke alarm fittings with 3 lots of 1.5mm 3 core to terminate.

I was wondering how you lot normally go about connecting up in this situation? I've always been uneasy about using junction boxes in the ceiling (I really don't count them as accessible if you have to rip up the floor or pull plasterboard down), but I do have my hands on a contractors box of Wago connectors along with the boxes.

I'm not sure it's possible to terminate 3 lots of 1.5mm 3 core in a smoke alarm, so I'm thinking to terminate them in a Wago box in the ceiling with a single 3core dropped down for the smoke alarm (as you would with ceiling rose and light), and also to essentially do the same where there are more than 3 cables to terminate in light fittings.

Fully aware this might come across as a beginners question but I really am keen to find the best way to do these things as there are many ways I'm sure you lot skin this cat, so do forgive me!

EZ

when I 1st fix I take in to account the amount of cables at a fitting/accessory and wire to suite. For example I may feed the switch instead of the light. It would be very rare that I would have more cables at a fitting/accessory than it's designed/suitable for.

Agreed, this is also what I'd normally do. The reason I'm where I'm at now though is a lot of cable runs were already in place when I came on site, and as time is an issue at the moment I can't really afford to redo cable runs (unless it were absolutely necessary, of course).

So what I'm asking is, when you absolutely have to terminate cables in the way in which I've outlined, what are best practices?

Since you have the wago boxes and connectors and using them is considered maintenance free junction boxes so you can do these connections as you suggest.
It is always more complicated on fault finding to have inaccessible junction boxes so if you can get them accessible then do so wherever possible even if it is a bit more hassle to get the cables into the fitting or such like.

I'd do as you say with Wago box and have done, they do a slimline box that can be pulled down through a recessed spot hole (60-70mm) this would mean it could be accessed with relative ease for future works.

I would definitely go with the wago's as well.

However, it does worry me a little that the word 'Wago' is becoming synonymous with 'maintainance free'. I do wonder if people are using the wagobox 'light' as MF. Also, the wagobox itself (not the wagobox light) is only classed as MF if it has a zip tie connected around it in the given hole.

Also the wagobox will only be MF if it uses the wago 222 or 773, the wago 224's are designed for the wagobox light and are not classed as MF

https://www.connexbox.com/tag/product/list/tagId/6/

I would definitely go with the wago's as well.

However, it does worry me a little that the word 'Wago' is becoming synonymous with 'maintainance free'. I do wonder if people are using the wagobox 'light' as MF. Also, the wagobox itself (not the wagobox light) is only classed as MF if it has a zip tie connected around it in the given hole.

Also the wagobox will only be MF if it uses the wago 222 or 773, the wago 224's are designed for the wagobox light and are not classed as MF

https://www.connexbox.com/tag/product/list/tagId/6/

I generally only use the 222's but some times the 773's

Reply to Terminating multiple cables in light fitting or Wago Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net