Discuss thinking of jacking in the niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sounds inconvenient just turning up and amateurish, never heard anything like it TBH, I don't doubt your a good spark Rob and are not trying to give you a hard time just the scheme.

This is why they are losing credibility within the Industry

all B & Q work is notified to Napit so they will see certs for every job I do for them. How does it work with your provider? Curious.
He comes once a year and asks to see a list of all the jobs I have carried out in the 12 months since he was last here, he then asks to see my domestic certs and asks for proof they were put through building control, he then picks anything from 2-4 jobs at random and asks to go there, whilst there he makes me re-test certain parts of the circuits and checks the results as well as looking at the jobs to ensure they are up to scratch and I also get the usual looking at insurance H&S manual etc etc, the visit last a half day and usually is pretty useful actually as I get to listen to the bull they are thinking of employing to us over the next 12 month period, new rules and bull they want us to adhere to, if they see anything they are not happy with you have to put it right and write to them within 30 days to confirm any minor defects have been carried out, they sometimes go back to check you have done so, luckily I don't get too much of that and usually the visit is successful, however as an approved contractor it is a little more intense from a DI scheme.

He comes once a year and asks to see a list of all the jobs I have carried out in the 12 months since he was last here, he then asks to see my domestic certs and asks for proof they were put through building control, he then picks anything from 2-4 jobs at random and asks to go there, whilst there he makes me re-test certain parts of the circuits and checks the results as well as looking at the jobs to ensure they are up to scratch and I also get the usual looking at insurance H&S manual etc etc, the visit last a half day and usually is pretty useful actually as I get to listen to the bull they are thinking of employing to us over the next 12 month period, new rules and bull they want us to adhere to, if they see anything they are not happy with you have to put it right and write to them within 30 days to confirm any minor defects have been carried out, they sometimes go back to check you have done so, luckily I don't get too much of that and usually the visit is successful, however as an approved contractor it is a little more intense from a DI scheme.

That sounds quite thorough and more akin to my initial visit process. I've probably undersold the process in my first rambling but don't think the process is as intense as this one. I'm quite happy with the ad hoc visits I get as its no inconvenience to me and less inconvenient to householders. I do share your concerns about the credibility of the schemes and the process should be equally applied to all. it's my opinion that the whole thing was screwed from the get-go. More than one cps equals disaster for its memberships. Though not an expert in regulatory bodies other industries have only one, nationally appointed body. Could we not have had an OfElec if HMG considered the industry to in such a disarray? One singer, one song?

Humourous but not. I've spoken with some electricians who didn't even know what their own cps abbreviation stood for, "Er, is it the national association of, er...er...er...", if you get my drift.

I presume you are Nic approved, I'm only domestic now and it's pretty much the same on the inspection except that you tell them which two jobs you are going to show them.
i did once ask how they know that all my jobs are to standard rather than just the two jobs I show them. He seem to think no one would do that!!
as for Napit I am shocked that they operate in that way, I really can't imagine an inspector just turning up in the middle of a job, what happens if you haven't got the time to give him and I'm sure the builder/client would be annoyed if you stop working so that some one can poke around the job.
do you have to register every single job before you start it, more paper work.
I always thought all the bodies preformed the same way.
My thoughts on Part P is either the whole house is covered or just get rid of it.

Well I reckon I see an inspector more than most by the sounds of it! Not sure that's a great thing. Yes it can sometimes be inconvenient but he's there to see others primarily, besides me, and if I'm up to my arms in loft insulation he'll see me on another job. He's there to see bathroom/kitchen installers as an oversight function on behalf of B & Q. He probably sees more jobs of mine than he does non B & Q associated sparks. I'm happy that he takes the time to talk, check, inspect, interrogate and advise to the degree he's happy with. He seems happy enough with my installs and testing practices (and fault finding, problem solving) and Im sure he's enough about him to say if he sees something dangerous. Only a fool would beg him to ask for more scrutiny but I also realise that's not what you're concerned about. It's the consistency of approach. He may have to adopt a different one for folks he never sees year on year. I've a mate who gets the same guy on his annual review. I'll check with him to see what the score is out of curiosity...

Redvanman I would not be shocked about them turning up on a job for a spot check but I am shocked that you get to pick 2 jobs. Don't get me wrong not having a go at you but the Schemie system was meant to police the industry and I understand policing guys who have done 6 months in domestics thing is as MDJ said its all about credibility and up here people are not interested in a badge because they have seen and heard about kitchen or bathroom disasters and now they are going back to recommendations from friends and family. I was called for a second opinion on a kitchen install and declined saying I did not want to get involved with this type of dispute that revolved around a problem with a SFCU that led on to a demand for a copy of qualifications ,calibration and test certs only to find they were all bogus and done under the badge of a Scheme so Joe Public is already on to them and see them as some sort of body that protects their members interests plus in this current environment we do not need an extra layer of supervision that is bloated and in my view cannot not even police or sort out there rouge members.

The House of Commons review on Part P was right when they highlighted that the Schemes had a blatant conflict of interests and said it was unhealthy for the industry. The problem is they have a good revenue stream and the don't or won't give it up without a fight leaving us and the industry we work in as second thoughts. One thing for sure is badging anyone who will pay is no way to get respect

Oldtimer, that's quite an alarming experience. How on earth do we reassure prospective first time clients If the cps hasn't checked qualifications etc prior to approval. Doomed.

Oldtimer I quite agree
I think you pick your own jobs is because its domestic and the owner won't be in if you just turned up but it is opened to abuse
Hey let's make all sparks registered and have electricsafe like the plumbers gassafe
that would cut out the yehaas slightly

Rob I am not a scheme member but in Scotland when your do a job you can submit documentation by "Enquiry" in other words you have to submits certs along with tester calibration certs and a front and back copy of your SJIB card. Now speaking to someone in planning by Enquiry has a full audit trail ie was the person competent ? was the tester within calibration and most importantly to the customer was this the guy who did the job as your picture is on your SJIB card.

Now my understanding is the Scheme member submits certs with his membership number on it fine but when there is a problem and people poke a bit deeper O by the way can you also submit copies of the person doing the job SJIB card and tester calibration certificate thats when it goes pear shape. Thing is if this was exposed the Scheme will not put its hands up to say well err yep this can and did happen.

I spoke to a landlord who was pretty switched on so he requested copies of SJIB cards and tester calibration certs and ended up getting the run around as he said to me I have a duty of care to my tenant(s) so getting this extra documentation I see as no big deal
and I said well yep see your point of view. Then he said to me I want a copy of your SJIB card,tester calibration cert and ISI&TEE cert as well just when I finished doing the last item on a PAT test or I aint paying he said.

Reply to thinking of jacking in the niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net