Discuss to Chase or not to Chase that is the question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chrishands

Hi has anybody got any pictures of wall mounted cables on the outside of a house to serve lights.
i wanted to get 3 up/down lighters on the outside of the house, the easiest least distruptive way was to have cable clipped to the outside. however, i wonder if it would be an absolute isoar or would it look ok if it was neatly clipped.

The other option would be to chase the walls inside the house, but its just been decorated so wanted to avoid that

Cables clipped surface are going to look different every time depending on the wall, the cable used and the guy doing the clipping..... why do you want pictures?

I don't have an immediate reply to that.

Maybe consider galv conduit to make a bit of a feature out of it. If it's done well it would look better than just clipped cable and would also stand more of a chance against external influences.

I don't have an immediate reply to that.

Maybe consider galv conduit to make a bit of a feature out of it. If it's done well it would look better than just clipped cable and would also stand more of a chance against external influences.

Well that was what I was thinking but I tend to find only electricians think that conduit is nice to look at. Lol!

It's an easy sell, especially compared to cable that's clipped surface. There's a whole arty retro-industrial-chic thing going on and people pay thousands for carp that anyone can knock together in their garden shed.

Sell her some of these while you're at it and botch them together yourself to make some money :)

i.jpeg

Put your foot down! You tell her what you're going to do.

Surface run cable looks cr@p unless you go for MICC. Conduit looks good on brickwork or smooth render, awful on anything else. There’s also japanned conduit that can blend in on some walls.

For totally unobtrusive go though the wall from the inside.

It’s your job (GF = unpaid) do what you think will be best.

It's an easy sell, especially compared to cable that's clipped surface. There's a whole arty retro-industrial-chic thing going on and people pay thousands for carp that anyone can knock together in their garden shed.

Sell her some of these while you're at it and botch them together yourself to make some money :)

View attachment 27680

Is the conduit holding the door together or is it the other way around?

Other than that bloody awful door I like that, one of your creations Marvo? It would look good on clean new brickwork. Bloody useless for OS lights though, the books will get soggy.

Other than that bloody awful door I like that, one of your creations Marvo? It would look good on clean new brickwork. Bloody useless for OS lights though, the books will get soggy.
I like that too.

If they were Electrical texts, it wouldn't matter though...theres them forums now! :smilielol5:

Surface run cable looks cr@p unless you go for MICC. Conduit looks good on brickwork or smooth render, awful on anything else. There’s also japanned conduit that can blend in on some walls.

Whats japanned conduit?

Too true. Theres a big posh house in my village, his outside lights are all fed with MICC, and it looks fabulous.

I'd take a picture but I'd have to run 400 yards up his drive first :hammer:

View attachment 27680

My brother had a go at some of this not so long back. He bought all the 1/2 inch pipe tools to fit out shelf supports, towel rails, toilet roll holders etc for a pub toilet refurb. It looked a good job too. He ended up getting them to pay him though and it put him off the idea completely.
A customer of mine has asked me to make him some bespoke conduit wall fittings for his hair salon, but again I feel they won't want to pay much for them.

Reply to to Chase or not to Chase that is the question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net