Discuss To few circuits in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob1967

Have just been asked to do a PIR, took a look at the board but it only has 3 circuits, sockets, cooker and lights.....This is in a two up to down...........

may only have few outlets!!! ;)

my parents only have 4 sockets on up ring and 5 on down!!

1 light circuit and 1 cooker circuit 1 shower circuit

thats a 3 bed semi!!

my house only has 3 circuits!! ring, lights and shower and thats a 3 bed terrace
2 sockets each bed
4sockets lounge
3 sockets and cooker point in kitchen (gas cooker with electronic ignigtion)
9 pendants in whole house
1 shower
1 x 32
1 x 40
1 x 6
1 X 80A 30mA main switch

So you dont think i should reccomend having a seperate circuit for the kitchen? just thinking about the possibility of overloading the the circuit.............As well as the possibility of higher R1+R2 readings etc etc. but will see how they go on monday when i do the PIR.......

Last edited by a moderator:
put a clamp meter on it with everything on? but then of course you have diversity to play with

Last edited by a moderator:
there was electricity befor the 17th edd and IMO if you are asking questions like this you shouldnt be doing PIRs as you dont have enough experiance but thats MY opinion Sorry if this offends you but hey Everydays a schoolday

yeah and there were cars before seatbelts, and babyseats in cars before rear seatbelts etc, if it aint broke than dont fix i guess but dont do no harm to recommend upgrading, my house is rented, but if i did a pir and thought it needed upgrading then i couldnt force my landlady to do so but just recommend her to do so

Yea Jase Im in same posistion )Rewirable fuse box 6 circuits RCD on shower tho 6mm earth bonds Zs s ae well within the tables so no probs there No RCD for sockets ,lighting,bathroom But as house is 20yrs oldish theres nothing wrong )

But there are opinions that everything should be upgraded to 17th no matter what it was the same when 16th came in ffs the 15th if you stood still long enought ud have to earth your belt buckle

the 15th 16th and 17th are the same, except bigger earth wires. + plus you can now have a telly and an electric fire in the bathroom with 17th ;-)

we used to work off ladders until some cotton wool packer decided 4ft was a fall from height!!!!!

Thats when the lunatics took over the assylum :(
They probably banned their swivel office chair in case they wound it up to high
These are the people who should be taught what the real world is, and what their fantasy land should not interfere with :mad:

I started under the 14th....(early jurassic period)......16mm tails and 6mm main earth and bonding were standard.....there's still plenty of installs running on this and I have never seen a melted main earth.........now we have to use a main earth over twice the size.....why?

there was electricity befor the 17th edd and IMO if you are asking questions like this you shouldnt be doing PIRs as you dont have enough experiance but thats MY opinion Sorry if this offends you but hey Everydays a schoolday

Didn't know there was a prob with asking any questions here lol.....doesn't matter how much experience we have we always ask anyway,,,,,,,,best to be safe then sorry.........only 2 of the circuits are RCD protected so will be put a code 4 for the other as it's the lighting circuit which supplies the Bathroom light but bonding is in place..........

I understand where all you guys are coming from and I know the 17th eddition is not perfect which is why there are pages and pages of amendments........But weather we like it or not we have to try and work to it and cover our arses even if it means we have to go OTT with Belt and Braces..............:D

Back on point, i've only got 2 circuits in my house, i win :D

they are on rcbos though, and when i tested with every load on, the whole house was only pulling 20A

it's a small house with gas cooker and thermo shower.

Reply to To few circuits in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net