Discuss Travel time and charges in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

roukel01

Hi All

Just wondered how and what folks charge for travel? I've been lucky in the fact that all of my work is within a ten minute drive from home, and so charging for travel has never been an issue.

However, I have been offered quite a bit of work that will require traveling a fair distance. Basically a company has 5 sites, one is within half an hours drive, three other sites are about an hours drive each to them (Completely different directions) and the last is 110 miles away (A good two hours drive each way)

The furthest away is about to have an 18 bedroom extension, so theres going to be quite a bit of travelling to that one straight away, plus maintenance at all other sites

The starting offer from his end is that due to the amount of work that will come my way, I should front the costs of the travel to the 4 closest sites, but they would pay £25 + VAT each way to the furthest. I feel that I'm going to loose too much money in traveling time and expenses for this to be beneficial to me and my business.

The £25 to the furthest site would just about cover fuel costs, but it would mean I would be working a 12 hour day for 8 hours pay!

How would you guys manage the travel costs?

Thanks

40p/mile will cover travel cost, but not your time. at a rough guide, £1 /mile is sensible. assuming average of 30mph, that's £30/hour. half for costs and half for your time.

Stay over. Stuff driving that amount each day.

they can pay hours rate on way so 2 hour journey costs them 2 hours labour (can claim the miles at 40p mile direct off your tax bill)

stopping away would probably be cheaper for them. 2 hours each way is say £60 minimum basic jib approved rate

Stay over. Stuff driving that amount each day.
Stay over on a 200 mile round trip what fkin world are you living in???? I think some of you lads have got some odd notions of the modern world. To the OP, only you can decide how much you need the work and what your profit margins need to be, that's what being self employed is all about.

Stay over on a 200 mile round trip what fkin world are you living in???? I think some of you lads have got some odd notions of the modern world. To the OP, only you can decide how much you need the work and what your profit margins need to be, that's what being self employed is all about.
depends how long it will take to get to, just cause somewhere is 100miles away doesnt mean it can be driven in 2 hours.

ive been to sites 70 miles away before that took 4-5 hours (quicker on me ffffing bike)

I travel that nearly every day, about 1hrs travel each way. Clients get charged hourly rate.

That isn't domestic though.

If you don't think it's worth it for you don't do it. Charge him your hourly rate or you could be earning that else where couldn't you?

depends how long it will take to get to, just cause somewhere is 100miles away doesnt mean it can be driven in 2 hours.

ive been to sites 70 miles away before that took 4-5 hours (quicker on me ffffing bike)
where the heck is 70 miles from castle Donington that takes 4-5 hours to get to?

I'm glad I don't have to go far these days, I like to get home for lunch to let the dog out for a wee and watch loose women. Never been the same since Vorderman left though.

Reply to Travel time and charges in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net