Discuss TV coax cabling in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have moved into a new build house and need to set up my TV, Computer, Internet etc. I need to have a TV aerial installed. I am confused by the coax cabling installed by the builders. There is a TV wall socket in the living room and one in a bedroom. In the loft the coax cable is a loop about 6 feet long which would appear to feed both TV sockets. I expected to find two cables waiting to be connected to a splitter which would then be connected to the aerial. But this is a continuous cable. So is it a single piece of coax that is connected to both TV sockets and is simply waiting to be cut in two by the aerial installer? Then after cutting attach both ends to a splitter and then cable from splitter to new aerial? I can't think of any other explanation. It seems as though they have cabled one of the TV sockets then run the cable up to the loft where they have left a 6 foot loop after which it has gone back down to the other TV socket. Maybe this is the way builders do this nowadays.

The good thing with coax is you can’t get a shock if you make a mistake.
Either you can cut the loop in the attic to make the two outputs of the splitter, or sometimes aerial installers come down the outside of the house. It can be brought in at the living room, and you can put the splitter behind the tv.

The good thing with coax is you can’t get a shock if you make a mistake.
Either you can cut the loop in the attic to make the two outputs of the splitter, or sometimes aerial installers come down the outside of the house. It can be brought in at the living room, and you can put the splitter behind the tv.
Yes I had thought about that. First installer said he didn't know what to do. Waiting now for second installer to have a go.

It makes sense to install one continuous coax between the 2 outlets, so an aerial can be fed into either outlet, or to the loft according to which is easiest or more convenient, with a splitter at which ever point. It should be simple enough to verify continuity of the cable between the two outlets, but not actually sure whether your typical aerial installer would have the means to do that or not.

It makes sense to install one continuous coax between the 2 outlets, so an aerial can be fed into either outlet, or to the loft according to which is easiest or more convenient, with a splitter at which ever point. It should be simple enough to verify continuity of the cable between the two outlets, but not actually sure whether your typical aerial installer would have the means to do that or not.
Yes I can understand the logic behind this method of installing the coax. You would expect aerial installers to be capable of dealing with this situation which they must come across frequently.

Having the single cable from the living room to the bedroom also allows you to have the option of providing a feed from the living room other than pure aerial signal... like output from an older sky box, or what ever you want.

Reply to TV coax cabling in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock