Discuss Twin socket from 6mm cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time posting here and just after some advice.

I've got a 6mm cable in my kitchen which isn't currently connected.

I'm planning to have an oven and a gas hob. Is It OK to have a twin socket from the 6mm cable and plug my 16A oven and gas hob straight into this?

On the kitchen wall I'd then have a DP switch.

Many thanks.

You may well find that the manufacturer instructions say that the oven will need to be on a dedicated 16 Amp radial and hard wired through a cooker connection point.

Probably best to get a local spark to take a look.

As above most intergarted ovens these days call for a 16a supply , one way round the issue if to alter the mcb/rbco to a 16amp and alter the socket box to a dual box one with a cooker outlet for the oven and one with a 13a socket for the hob ignition

This work ideally carried out by a sparks

That being said I have come across some lower wattage ovens that have come pre-flexed with a plugtop

So my 6mm cable into this and then oven cable also into it? But how would I then plug my gas hob in?

It’s going need a bit more work than just wiring your 6mm cable into there; and the fact you’re asking about it on here, tells me you need an electrician.

Thanks people. So what would I actually need to do to make it compatible? 6mm cable into what? The oven I have does need hard wiring.

You need to check what size fuse or circuit breaker is protecting the circuit and establish whether or not it needs to be changed to suit the new appliances, and to confirm whether it is compliant to feed a socket.

Then a cooker outlet or flex outlet can be fitted along with a socket outlet for the hob.

Ideally with a suitable and accessible means of isolation.

Reply to Twin socket from 6mm cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net