Discuss Under cabinet lighting advice in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently decided to add some undercabinet lights to some kitchen cabinets and bought 240v robus undercabinet spotlights, but upon installation I found that they all flickered slightly - not noticeable from a distance but definitely noticeable close up, especially when doing something on the worktop, and very irritating. I looked at the flickering through my phone camera, and its very pronounced, not like the flicker you often get from led lamps with a camera. I've not had this problem with any other led lamps.
Any idea why this is happening, and can anything be done to fix it? These are the lights I bought: 2.5W LED Triangular Cabinet Light Brushed Chrome 4000K - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4680068-2-5w-led-triangular-cabinet-light-brushed-chrome-4000k

Also if nothing can be done and I end up returning them, have you got any recommendations for good undercabinet lights in the same style? The specs I'm looking for are 4000k, 200lumens or greater, wide beam angle (100⁰+) and preferably 240v to avoid having to fit a driver, although if you can suggest any really good ones that require a driver I'm happy to look at that too.
Thanks in advance for any replies!

View attachment 63761
Y
View attachment 63761
View attachment 63762
The first video shows the robus light flickering which is much more pronounced than normal and is noticeable in real life, and the second shows a TCP lamp that flickers a bit on camera, as I have seen before, but not at all in real life.

The first video shows the robus light flickering which is much more pronounced than normal and is noticeable in real life, and the second shows a TCP lamp that flickers a bit on camera, as I have seen before, but not at all in real life.
You did, nt mention if your cabinets have a pelmet or not. This is always the first question I ask the customer when the subject of choosing underpress lights come up. Pelmets allow for a greater variety of lights to be used as they can literally be hidden. Second question I ask is if they have taken a trip around the kitchen showroom to see what type of lighting the kitchen manufacturers have installed on their displays. It makes choosing your lighting so much easier when you can see what they look like in working mode

You did, nt mention if your cabinets have a pelmet or not. This is always the first question I ask the customer when the subject of choosing underpress lights come up. Pelmets allow for a greater variety of lights to be used as they can literally be hidden. Second question I ask is if they have taken a trip around the kitchen showroom to see what type of lighting the kitchen manufacturers have installed on their displays. It makes choosing your lighting so much easier when you can see what they look like in working mode
The cabinets do have a pelmet, the style I'm looking for is a triangular undercabinet spotlight or a round undercabinet spotlight, surface mounted. The other specs I'm looking for are in my first post.

The cabinets do have a pelmet, the style I'm looking for is a triangular undercabinet spotlight or a round undercabinet spotlight, surface mounted. The other specs I'm looking for are in my first post.
Those styles are available in many different makes. Most wholesalers have lighting showrooms where you can see them in operation. I have installed many of them (usually Robus) and to date have, nt experienced any issue, s

LED strips secured to pelmet give a nice wall wash as well as work friendly lighting. shows up where she needs to clean the cooking grease off as well.

Reply to Under cabinet lighting advice in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net