Discuss Underground swa joint. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
Had to repair a underground swa cable at short notice this afternoon so just had what was on my van as wholesalers would be shut.
To get it back going I used some outdoor gland packs and crimped it in a whiska box.
It’s due to be replaced apparently but how good would that connection be underground if I filled it with gel and they covered it or should I just refit it with a torpedo?

For sure a Whiska box is not rated for underground use!

I think they might make some products that are suitable, but I would be looking at replacing it with a Birkett torpedo-style joint before the ground is covered up again.

Buried should be a resin filled joint

that said i recently dug up some up swa that was buried and it had multiple buried joints using galv through boxes filled With some sort of gel and a gasket lid

they were still perfectly intact and no sign of moisture ingress

@Dustydazzler have seen a few underground repairs with through boxes and the old green potting compound in that have done very well considering!
@Retroelectric Wiska box definitely not a long term solution!
I had a digger go through this 35mm 4 core a couple of weeks ago, even out of hours my wholesalers went out of their way to get this out for me! Underground swa joint. IMG_20210519_1244442 - EletriciansForums.net

I'd never have guessed what caused the cable damage if you hadn't mentioned it. Whenever there is a bang there is often a smoking water pipe.

Had they chopped a water pipe as well?
The poor guy (who I know well) had a terrible day. He started off with a mild leak on a stop cock. (red arrow)
There was a digger on site and he borrowed it. I still don't get why he dug where he did. I was on site anyway for something else.
I get a call from him "you'd better come down to number 2". At same time I started getting calls saying various things had no power.
By time I got there he'd dug a bit more and there was an impressive growing lake. He'd severed the power, and there was an unprotected 22mm copper water pipe he'd also spectacularly mangled up.
It took out an upstream single phase breaker, and the C63 three phase breaker two DB's up.

Underground swa joint. 1624703005217 - EletriciansForums.net
The scene a while later....the trench running towards the house is where he severed a copper water pipe - looking at where the gas cabinet is (blue arrow) I was initially worried he'd managed the triple crown and got all three services!

Underground swa joint. 1624703293097 - EletriciansForums.net

A year earlier, I'd found the two houses pictured shared a neutral on an EICR. 10 months earlier I'd dug a hole 10m upstream and connected a new cable to the one he severed, and ran a new supply to the far house. I wasn't delighted to be back there getting muddy so soon.

I've cut through enough live ones by mistake to know you're usually safe if the armour is connected

Was on a job where they dug a trench round the perimeter of a large building for a water main for the fire brigade points

No maps for cabling , they just cut through a load of them with the digger and I repaired each one with 2 resin joints

Reply to Underground swa joint. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock