Search the forum,

Discuss unusual rcd tripping behaviour in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benny_Boy

I just moved a 40A BS60898 from an RCD protected way to a spot just after the main isolator. ie not on the RCD.

..long story short...

The RCD which the breaker used to be on trips as soon as there's a load on the breaker! which is no longer on the rcd!! it's bloomin next to it on the other side.

I thought it might be some sort of weird proximity effect inducing currents in one side of the rcd as the mcb ws loaded up so I popped in a blank to make some room between the mcb and the rcd but still trips!

can anyone think of a reason why this might be happening?

any ideas appreciated

*slaps forehead*

I think you may have something there!

There are 2x neutral bars (2xrcds)and I just moved the neutral from one side to the other. so neutral on rcd, line........not.

thanks.

I've been under a lot of stress recently!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to mention this but if the circuit is tripping the RCD then moving it to a non RCD supply is only hiding a problem with it ie low insulation or neutral to earth fault

just a thought

Just read your mail again and you say it is a 40A supply but what you dont say is what is it supplying at 40 amps can I assume this is either a shower or a cooker and if it is a shower then it should be on a RCD supply along with the socket on the cooker switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was just moved to get the board in the right order temporarily. (Not left energized)

I was just being a berk with the tripping, it was just because there's no neutral bar that's not on an rcd. (dual rcd board) I'll just have the neutral flying lead from the rcbo go to a neutral before either of the rcds. Nothing to do with a fault on the circuit.

The circuit is going on an rcbo today, it feeds an outbuilding buried in plastic pipe. 6.0/2.5 so cable must be rcd protected.

As recommended by my friendly local Napit chappy.

Thanks for the responses.

Reply to unusual rcd tripping behaviour in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net