Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss USB sockets earth leakage question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stuarth

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a customer who has been providing all the accessories for their renovation a real mix of manufacturers and styles, we arrived to second fix and swap existing faceplates to find that every single socket both single and double had usb ports. My question is will these USB ports all potentially produce earth leakage regardless of wether they are carrying a load or will they only leak when being used?

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
D

Deleted member 26818

You’ll have to look at Manufacturer’s Data Sheet, or perhaps measure them once installed.

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Having seen quite a few teardown videos on these things I would be very surprised if they leaked anything as I can't recall seeing any that have a connection to earth.

Leakage from electronics will I believe only occur when the case is earthed and/or one part of the power supply is referenced to earth, or it contains filtering/surge management that is linked to earth.

D

Deleted member 26818

Having seen quite a few teardown videos on these things I would be very surprised if they leaked anything as I can't recall seeing any that have a connection to earth.

Leakage from electronics will I believe only occur when the case is earthed and/or one part of the power supply is referenced to earth, or it contains filtering/surge management that is linked to earth.
How does the USB supply regulate voltage?

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
How does the USB supply regulate voltage?
It's not necessary to have a connection to earth to regulate voltage. They are switched mode power supplies that produce a potential difference of 5v between the USB power pins... that's all that's needed for them to be useful.

D

Deleted member 26818

It's not necessary to have a connection to earth to regulate voltage. They are switched mode power supplies that produce a potential difference of 5v between the USB power pins... that's all that's needed for them to be useful.
That’s all well and good.
Have you examined these particular items and read the technical data sheet?

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
That’s all well and good.
Have you examined these particular items and read the technical data sheet?
Actually before posting, I was trying to find detailed technical information about them so I could provide a response to the question that was grounded in fact.

Unfortunately detailed technical information about such matter appears to be a bit thin on the ground as I wasn't able to find anything about MK or BG USB sockets.

But I don't have to have examined them personally, like I said I've seen enough teardowns of these to know that they in general have no connection to earth (just the same as your average USB plug-in charger and even a lot of laptop chargers) therefore they are unlikely to produce earth leakage issues since they cannot introduce any kind of potential or current flow into a conductor they have no connection to. Seems to be fairly common sense to me.

D

Deleted member 26818

My problem, is that I don’t know the make of the sockets the OP is using, don’t know how they operate, so can’t really say whether there will be earth leakage or how much it will be.

There is a requirement for all 13A sockets which incorporate a usb port to comply with BS EN 61558-1. Part of this being the SELV (output) to be electrically separate from the low voltage and earth not too dissimilar from a shaver socket.

stuarth

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all the responses you have answered my question, it seams there will only be a potential issue when they are in use. As to the make of sockets they vary from makes I have never heard of to LAP :eek:, they love to shop on the internet.
The customer is a absolute nightmare of not listening to any advice and changing their minds as to whats going where and constantly adding more work, more circuits etc soooo glad I insisted on hourly rate rather than fixed price, the original job was to move a few lights a couple of new spots and 6 new sockets, we have now been on site for 3 weeks in total:D

Charlie_

-
Arms
And another plus point; you will be able to make all that money twice over again when you go back to replace what they supplied...
I now actually encourage customers to source their own materials, mainly to observe the look on their face when I explain the lack of any guarantee on the material side

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Advent Win
And another plus point; you will be able to make all that money twice over again when you go back to replace what they supplied...
I now actually encourage customers to source their own materials, mainly to observe the look on their face when I explain the lack of any guarantee on the material side
I love telling em there’s no guarantee on materials.....saves me a load of stress :)

D

Deleted member 105166

I hope you knew from the outset that every single socket was going to be USB, and charged accordingly, since you’re going to have to disconnect and wago the line on them all to do a L-N I.R. test. Rather time consuming for every single socket.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to USB sockets earth leakage question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom