Discuss Using Niceic sheets commercially and differences of opinion in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just reading through my thread and am still a bit muddled, multiple answers have been given one leaning towards entering the main switch of the DB that has been added to and others have said it's the multi pole device closest to the origin as possible...

So for example if I installed a new circuit from an existing board, and this board is fed from a LV panel and this panel fed from a transformer feeder pillar oon the load side of the transformer, I would need to determine the Main switch on the feeder pillar???

Main switch at the origin is just that, not any sub board.
Overcurrent device at the origin is just that, not any subsequent breaker.
Sometimes you can source main tails size, fuses etc from drawings etc if available from maintenance or if you are lucky, in the switch room.
As regards origin, think of it as AFTER metering.

For me it is very clear:

1) the main supply characteristics cover the main head area and the associated fuses.

2) the main switch part is for the first isolation point of the installation. Normally for domestic installations this would be the DB main switch. For commercial installations it would be the first point of isolation after the main head.

3) for your installation only a EIC will do. The first DB will be the existing panel board with all outgoing circuits showed on the certificate but instead of the actual circuit designation you would put 'existing circuit '. Only your new circuit would be designated as 'DB 5' for example. All existing circuit results would be N/A and the test results recorded on your new circuit. Then a continuation page would start for you new board and then you would test that as standard.

And remember you can insert limitations if it is impractical to shut down a complete factory to ascertain the particulars at the origin. What you should not do is just put another part of the installation in as the origin because that is false. Make the limitations clear to the person ordering the work prior to the works going ahead. This is what limitations are for.

Inserting of Lims need to be agreed beforehand in writing from the client (or a printed e mail) and attached to the EIC or you have no authority to insert it.

Reply to Using Niceic sheets commercially and differences of opinion in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net