• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Vfd for well pump in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever built a VFD for a well pump using a pressure transmitter and a Allen Bradley drive. Maybe this isn’t even possible. Just curious. Thanks

B

Bobster

This is a bog standard design, depends on what you want the pressure transmitter to control.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
As above. Isn't it just a case of the transmitter being an input for the Allen Bradley PLC and an output being the 'Start' signal for the VFD?
Or do you want different controls?

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
@Rob, you are up early mate...

B

Bobster

@Rob, you are up early mate...
I'm not in the UK timezone.

The OP dependent on what he wants to do, could connect the sensor direct to the drive without the need of a PLC and use the drives inbuilt PID or basic logic functions.

It's a really common set up for pumping systems/LEV systems.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'm not in the UK timezone.

The OP dependent on what he wants to do, could connect the sensor direct to the drive without the need of a PLC and use the drives inbuilt PID or basic logic functions.

It's a really common set up for pumping systems/LEV systems.
True mate. That's why I asked if he wanted different controls

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Just to keep the pressure at 60 psi
What VFD are you thinking of using?
As above, why not feed the signal from the sensor directly into the drive? Why the Allen Bradley PLC?

B

Bobster

Just to keep the pressure at 60 psi
Easy, just get a VFD with an analog input that matches the output from your pressure transmitter, and that is capable of built in PID control.

How big a drive are you planning on using kW wise?

The Powerflex 7xx seiries would have all the capability. However, if it is a small VFD it may be cheaper to use a small programmable relay to run the PID loop.

B

Bobster

Just noticed you're a plumber.

This is a simple job, but above even a "standard electrician"

You'll also have to take into account your local codes. An the system will most likely, dependent on where you are in Canada be (UL) C-UL compliant

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Just out of interest @Ganelmatt can you tell us more about what you need this for. I'm just curious as if this is something you are designing then you may have over engineered it a bit.
I'm presuming the VFD is cause the motor is 3 phase and you only have single phase? I can't see a need for variable speed of the motor.
Is the motor existing or are you purchasing one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What VFD are you thinking of using?
As above, why not feed the signal from the sensor directly into the drive? Why the Allen Bradley PLC?
It’s a Allen bradly drive I have, just wasn’t sure if there’s setting in the drive to say run and keep the pressure sensor reading 60

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It’s a Allen bradly drive I have, just wasn’t sure if there’s setting in the drive to say run and keep the pressure sensor reading 60
That makes it more clear. The VFD is Allen Bradley and there is no PLC.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
So tell us what you are trying to do, in more detail.
Why are you using a VFD?
Is the pump motor an existing motor?

Reply to Vfd for well pump in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom