Discuss Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

So over the past few years we have seen the demise of 8 foot fluorescent tubes,50 watt halogen bulbs,500 watt floodlights and making tv standby power even more tiny.
This seems to pale into insignificance when electric cars are needing at least 7kw for 8 hours.
Now I don't know about you but when I'm in the shower for 10 minutes I'm thinking this is costing me a bit at 8.5 kw.So to leave 7kw on for 8 hours is madness.It makes a joke of all the energy savings over the past few years.What do you guys think?

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have to say that recently I was of the view that if we all went to electric vehicles we wouldn't have enough electricity, and also, in some locations, the supply just isn't hefty enough as it stands. Then I watched this from John ward, which, although a bit lengthy, is quire revealing in many ways.

Reaction score
I've thought about this as well quite a bit.

Electric cars are better for the environment but i'm just not that sure the nuclear reactors and fossil fuels producing it are that eco friendly.

I drive past Hinkley Point a few times a year and often contemplate this vast nuclear power plant whilst enjoying a leg of salmon in the local pub.

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As JW will show you, the remaining nuclear facilities will be out of use in a few years, and the use of wind power is steadily increasing, being augmented by gas "on demand".
The leg of salmon is brilliant!

Moley

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yo Pirate, we need those nukes!!
Going a bit off topic here. Wind power is increasing BUT, like solar, it's also not steady. A drop in wind here, clouds there and output drops. Look what happened last year (was it last year?) when Little Barford CCGT came offline just as a big wind farm (can't remember which) tripped out. There was a major blackout. To try and compensate for these sudden drops in production there are at least two sites that I have worked at that are converting old closed CCGT sites into 'flywheels'. Basically the turbines are being replaced by huge flywheels. When everything is running these sites consume electricity, the generators acting as motors spinning these flywheels. If there's a sudden drop in wind or solar then they change arround, the flywheel turning the generator and put power onto the grid. We never needed that with coal.
As for salmon, I do enjoy a nice bit of smoked salmon or a nice chunk of salmon wrapped in foil with some butter, chucked in the oven then served with a fresh salad while looking out at Hinkley Point power station from my chalet at Dunster Beach near Minehead :)

Oh, and JW has got a really boring voice!

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On the JW vid, my takeaway (perhaps wrongly) was that in broad we have capacity for half folks to have EV at the generation level, but that says nothing about DNO level impacts. I understand DNO have estimated estates at a kW or two per household and in the Chancellor’s scenario sometime soon an increasing proportion will be pulling 7kW throughout the night. Hmmm.

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What? You mean decades of under-funding in our basic infrastructure networks in favour of profits to shareholders are finally going to catch up and bite us on the arse?? I never would have seen that one coming........

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Also, it's 'fine' for suburbian estates and rural areas where houses have drives and places where you can actually install outdoor points (of whatever flavour) - go into the cities where it's row upon row of terraced house / apartments that exit straight onto busy streets and you're stuffed.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Also, it's 'fine' for suburbian estates and rural areas where houses have drives and places where you can actually install outdoor points (of whatever flavour) - go into the cities where it's row upon row of terraced house / apartments that exit straight onto busy streets and you're stuffed.
esp if you're on the 12th floor of a tower block.

Reply to Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.