Discuss Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Until we get nuclear fusion as oppose to fission then all energy sources are dirty, even batteries are still dirty given the chemicals and mining needed to source the components but the silver lining is they don't produce pollution when in use and can be recovered and recycled.

The biggest worry for nuclear fusion is going to be the global power shift, this will not be pretty but at least the Arabs are pre-empting these things and that is why they built a totally new commerce and tourist venue Dubai ... they know regular income in their oil wealth is soon to flutter away hence they invested trillions building a whole new city.

Unlimited cheap energy will solve a lot of global issues, bring water to the deserts, food to the starving and probably by accident it will fuel climate change as you cannot simply change the nature of vast swathes of sandy deserts without affecting global weather patterns... fun time ahead if we ever get there.

Whether any of us will still be around to see large-scale commercial exploitation of fusion is moot, but it will be a good result for whoever eventually makes it work. Electric transport run from a mainly fusion public supply will make every prime mover today look like Baird's mechanical television.

Ultimately then all power sources will be fusion, either our own little reactors here on Earth or the big one 93M miles away that illuminates our PV installations. I remember when I was young, dad telling me about the early fusion experiments with Zeta at Culham. His opinion was that the Tokamak reactor was fundamentally workable but it would be many decades before technology was advanced enough to control it and simulate it. I think his words were 'you can't confine plasma using just a lot keen physicists.' Of course in those days they were going after cheap energy, not clean energy. Green hadn't been invented yet.

Please don't say that you don't believe in man-made climate change...
Well... all we know is that the planet is changing... nobody knows exactly why. It's possible that it's due to humans and it's possible that it's another natural cycle, of which we know there have been many in the past. Or it could be due to something that we don't even know about yet...

My suggested solution to this climate change is a worldwide mass cull of humans... if we reduce the population by half from almost 8 billion to nearer 4 billion (what it was in about 1970)... then wait 10 years to see if that makes a difference... we should have a far better understanding. This idea isn't gaining much traction though...

My suggested solution to this climate change is a worldwide mass cull of humans... if we reduce the population by half from almost 8 billion to nearer 4 billion (what it was in about 1970)... then wait 10 years to see if that makes a difference... we should have a far better understanding. This idea isn't gaining much traction though...
Already been tried but The Avengers reversed what Thanos did

Big problem with his plan though was that he wiped out half of the population of any living thing.... so for 50% of the number of humans, there was only 50% of the number of cows, chickens, pigs etc etc. to feed them.

Weren't the Scandinavians trialing some system at one time that allowed the grid to grab the stored energy of car cells overnight at peak demands instead of turning on more generation??

when half the population have bought electric cars, they will be deemed as not eco friendly. some twot will perfect the hydrogen cell propulsion system, then we'll all have to change over again.

Interesting idea... how would you control that ? It's not as easy as policing the use of cheaper red diesel by dipping of tanks.
1) Require local meters to be integrated into domestic charging points.

2) Install household supply meters with enough "intelligence", or capacity for it, to communicate with loads to find out what they are. You could call them "smart meters".

Oh.

Well... all we know is that the planet is changing... nobody knows exactly why. It's possible that it's due to humans and it's possible that it's another natural cycle, of which we know there have been many in the past. Or it could be due to something that we don't even know about yet...
I'll not bother to ask you what expertise you have in climatology or atmospheric science which gives validity to your decision to disbelieve the huge majority of those who are experts and every single national and international scientific body.

I'll not bother to ask you what expertise you have in climatology or atmospheric science which gives validity to your decision to disbelieve the huge majority of those who are experts and every single national and international scientific body.
i suppose it was human industry polluting the atmosphere caused the last ice age?

I tend to listen to all experts, regardless of their opinions, then base my own views on a balanced, blended 'most likely' position. I'm not a fan of listening only to the ones you want to listen to... it tends to give an unbalanced view. You have to note that anyone who publicly gives a view that the media don't want to hear are quickly cast down as 'nut jobs'. Just look at what happened to David Bellamy !

I tend to listen to all experts, regardless of their opinions, then base my own views on a balanced, blended 'most likely' position. I'm not a fan of listening only to the ones you want to listen to... it tends to give an unbalanced view. You have to note that anyone who publicly gives a view that the media don't want to hear are quickly cast down as 'nut jobs'. Just look at what happened to David Bellamy !
I tend to think that given the near unanimity of those who know more than me, and the total unanimity of every single national and international scientific body, it would be barking mad of me to think that the opinions of the insignificant minority should be given as much weight as the overwhelming majority.

the current fad is CO2 emmissions. OK, so trees absorb CO2 and produce oxygen. photosynthesis. so why are we banging heads producing electric cars, when they're chopping down thousands of acres of rainforest?

Reply to Wasting electricity with electric cars? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net