Discuss What does part P cover exactly????? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparks72

I posted a thread recently regarding a customer that had a shoddy electrical & building installation that had been passed by building control.

My customer phoned the LABC today to explain what had happened & how unhappy he was that BC had signed off a job that was sub standard, the BC officer was concerned but pointed out that the flat above (which is accesible & on top of the shop) won't be covered as it is seen as a commercial installation!
I thought that if you did work on an istallation like this that's it comes under part P as it has a dwelling above!
Can anyone shine some light on this?

Thank's in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know part p will only come into force if the flat above is fed off the same supply

The flat above is fed off the same supply (badly), Thank's Jonesy83, any more info is appreciated.:)
BTW, a periodic picked up 25 faults in the shop alone, the flat above wasn't much better.

Amazing, building control acknowledge responsibility take the cash and say all is okay, there is a problem then they pass the buck.
I would go back down there and ask to see who signed it off and ask how exactly they no longer have responsibility for something they have taken cash for.

Make you wonder why we bother doing this right:rolleyes:

Amazing, building control acknowledge responsibility take the cash and say all is okay, there is a problem then they pass the buck.
I would go back down there and ask to see who signed it off and ask how exactly they no longer have responsibility for something they have taken cash for.

Make you wonder why we bother doing this right:rolleyes:

Exactly Mark!

My customer spoke to the head of the LABC who was "quetly concerned" that one of his men had signed
this job off, the so called Electrician in question won't answer his phone!!

Have a look at page 16-17 of the electricians guide to the building regs there should be enough information in and around the page, as it defines the scope of part P.

I think this highlights the failings of Part P and why it should be scrapped it is letting through sub standard work

It is about time a scheme similar to the gas industry has be brought in for electricians

Big thank's for all your help guys.

phil7677, thank's for the link.
Looking at the PDF document it clearly states what part P covers (kinda!)
I don't think the LABC can wriggle out of this.

Examples of application of Part P

Part P applies to electrical installations in or
attached to buildings or parts of buildings
comprising:
• dwelling houses and flats;
dwellings and business premises that have
a common supply – for example shops and
public houses with a flat above;

• common access areas in blocks of flats such
as corridors and staircases;
• shared amenities of blocks of flats such as
laundries and gymnasiums.
Part P applies also to parts of the above
electrical installations:
• in or on land associated with the buildings –
for example Part P applies to fixed lighting
and pond pumps in gardens;
• in outbuildings such as sheds, detached
garages and greenhouses.

If the spark is a real spark and proven to be so, the council cannot win. It has never been tested against a real qualified electrician, The council will drop, I can assure you they will, they will test at their own expense. They will of course get mardies on and knit pick, if they refuse you can counter sue

the only time they win is against 'not real sparks' ...diyers or chancers

I have done several jobs the council ask for part p cert....ok that's another 100 quid per property/job...err ok just send the bill

If the spark is a real spark and proven to be so, the council cannot win. It has never been tested against a real qualified electrician, The council will drop, I can assure you they will, they will test at their own expense. They will of course get mardies on and knit pick, if they refuse you can counter sue

the only time they win is against 'not real sparks' ...diyers or chancers

The sparks isn't a real sparks. the council haven't a leg to stand on.
My customer asked if I wanted to do a periodic on his property which I had to turn down as i'm up to my neck with work, he was concerned because he lives in the flat above with his wife and 2 year old son.
I suggested a local contractor I know & he got them to do it, the report is damning!
failure all round, 25+ problems downstairs, most were dangerous, same with the flat upstairs.
The so called Electrician won't answer his phone, when he was questioned by my customer regarding him
being in a scheme or having any Electrical qualification at all his reply was "i'm in the NACEIC", yep, the NACEIC!!!!

Reply to What does part P cover exactly????? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net