Discuss What electrical DIY work is currently Allowed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
just moved into a new house and need to replace the mains sockets, but would also like to add new ones. Have had difficulty on the internet ( trawling through so many American sites ) getting an answer to this question.
Can I
1-replace existing ring mains sockets
2-install new ones to the existing ring mani
3-install new ones as spurs
4-if 1,2,3 are allowed do I need to fit any / all of the sockets at the new regulation height ?

can the above be done without be certified by an electrician

thanks

As I understand you are able to change existing or like for like, eg... sockets, light switches and light fitting.
You are not allowed to do and work In Special locations eg bath rooms or notifiable works, like Adding new circuits or changing DB’s ect...
I maybe wrong in saying that, I’m sure someone will correct me

1,2,3 you can alter an existing circuit, and change accessories without notification, however the work must still comply with the wiring regulations.
4, no you don't need to fit sockets at the new-build regulation heights in anything other than a new build property, just match the existing heights. However you do need to comply with the wiring regulations, so things like RCD protection should be checked and inspection and testing carried out.

1,2,3 you can alter an existing circuit, and change accessories without notification, however the work must still comply with the wiring regulations.
4, no you don't need to fit sockets at the new-build regulation heights in anything other than a new build property, just match the existing heights. However you do need to comply with the wiring regulations, so things like RCD protection should be checked and inspection and testing carried out.

thank you so much, much cleaner now, have an electrician friend who can advise and check it afterwards..

is the regs still only one spur allowed from e ring main socket

thanks

thank you so much, much cleaner now, have an electrician friend who can advise and check it afterwards..

is the regs still only one spur allowed from e ring main socket

thanks
any number of spurs are allowed, but each spur must feed only 1 socket (single or double) unless fused down @ 13A with a FCU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have previously been criticised on here for not issuing a Minor works Certificate when I've replaced a plastic light switch and assured it's a requirement. So on that basis the poster may not be able to do anything?

I have previously been criticised on here for not issuing a Minor works Certificate when I've replaced a plastic light switch and assured it's a requirement. So on that basis the poster may not be able to do anything?

Like for like replacement is a maintenance activity that does not require the issuing of a minor works certificate.

"Notes for the person producing the Certificate:

The Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket-outlets or lighting points to an existing circuit, the relocation of a light switch etc. This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items. Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken."

This crops up from time to time but the regulations are quite clear, it may be used but you should always carry out appropriate testing. The argument then is, if you've got the test results you can issue a minor works certificate but you don't have to for simple replacements.

In the OP's case, if there are a lot of works taking place, I would be tempted to issue one just to formally confirm the testing has been carried out, which should include end to end continuity of ring conductors, IR and Zs to confirm there haven't been any cock ups.

An electrician should be completing certification as required for each job. Technically anyone should be completing certification to comply with BS7671 but most DIY enthusiasts wouldn’t know where to start with one.

An electrician should be completing certification as required for each job. Technically anyone should be completing certification to comply with BS7671 but most DIY enthusiasts wouldn’t know where to start with one.

I completely agree that a DIYER wouldn't be expected to know how to complete a minor works cert, but because a DIYER doesn't know how to do this, then that still doesn't allow them to replace anything (including a plastic light switch)?

replacement of accessories does not require a MWC. it's optional. however,assurance of the safety of the replacement and it's circuit should be confirmed, usually by testing, but with DIY, it's generallly the case of just visually checking that cables are connected in the right holes, and it doeasn't go bang.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve replaced a faceplate without testing or certification, but ive also done the opposite. Replacing a socket, you could test Zs and RCD, switch would be more problematic and might involve testing live to do those tests.

Don’t know why you received criticism.

Personally, I find myself telling customers not to try to replace sockets that are on a ring final. In my mind I can see a conductor popping out (loss of ring continuity) when fastening up, no testing carried out and all none the wiser....

Reply to What electrical DIY work is currently Allowed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net