Discuss what is the permitted voltage that the electricity board have to supply? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it's too high (>253v) they could change the tap on their transformer depending on the supply voltages at the other customers premises that are fed from that same transformer.

Trouble is a lot of appliances do not function correctly under 220 volt AC and so the lower end needs to be carefully considered as well.

Looking at regs earlier, it was -6 & +10 after 1995, is it being changed again?!?!

It was scheduled to happen under the Low Voltage Directive in April this year but it never happened. Apperently it will be April next yer now.

Technically you're right though, as it stands at the moment it is still 10 and 6.

The +10% / -10% has been under review for years as it should have happened about 2008ish and the last I heard about 2 years ago when talking with a DNO engineer was that it was being talked about again but with the legislation changes needed once it was agreed it would be a number of years before it happened

tolerances, i believe are 230 +10% /-6%. so what happens when one of my customers has flickering lights: measured supply 207V. DNO's soluytion was .. nothing we can do about it. suggest a 3 phase supply . kerrching £15,000.

Found this a DNO document Dated 2011

Standard transformers will be designed to have an impedance of 4.75%
(5% on 1500kVA transformers) on rating at nominal tap, will be connected
Dyn 11, will have a ratio 11000/433/250V with a tapping range of ± 5% in
2.5% taps. The transformer will have a Basic Impulse Level (BIL) of 75kV.

The DNO’s won’t change, they can’t without major upheaval. The networks overloaded as it is. Drop the voltage, the current rises on just about everything baring lighting and a lot of that won’t be happy. Interconnects between sections of the LV network would be unusable.

I tried dropping the voltage on an 80MVA system to give 400/230V. Soon put it back to 433/250V nothing but trouble.

Reply to what is the permitted voltage that the electricity board have to supply? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net