Discuss What Qualifications Class you as a fully Qualified Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yeah after reading up about it, it doesn't really sound like you get much out of it. i haven't booked yet but its saying it gives you a 2393-10 building regs cert whatever that is.

I have a rewire that i have almost finished. What are my options to get a cert for this place without signing up to a scheme just yet. Can another part p registered electrician sign it off?

Just to clarify my experience. I worked a year training with an electrical firm (Mainly Industrial & Commercial 3 phase), I then worked for them for 3 years on college day release apprenticeship. Got My level 3 2330 and continued with the company for a further 3 years. I have had a lot of domestic experience with this company also. I'm now trying it on my own.

I will probably sign up to a scheme in the near future but i'm just trying to get by for time being until work pays for the scheme

I have no idea what that is. And I'm pretty sure most of the guys on here won't either - which just shows you how 'valued' it is.

You can 'sign off' your own work, it's just not recommended really but theres technically nothing wrong with it. All you're doing is putting your name down to confirm that the installation in your eyes is fit for continued use. It's if anything happened (touch wood it won't) then it'll come back to bite you. You could get someone else to sign your work off yes, however, finding an electrician who is willing to do this will be difficult.

I'm not sure what the rules are on doing the NVQ3 off your own work, maybe one of the other guys in here knows more about this than me? If you can do the NVQ3 off your own work, i.e. don't have to be employed; i would seriously considering registering for this now, not only whilst you have some work but it will also benefit you immensely in the future.

To be a professional electrician, you also need your own network of qualified electricians with whom you can consult and discuss matters. This way you tap in to a wealth of knowledge, experience and wisdom. You also need a way of keeping up-to-date through regular reading (eg:IET wiring matters) and to do the odd course on specific topics(eg: earthing and bonding, fault-finding, special situations).

With regards to your recording your own experience I suggest you compile a 'boast' book of pictures, summaries and lessons learned on the job. Remember to put dates and locations beside the items, and if you can go through it regularly with a senior qualified electrician who is prepared to annotate it with comments on your work.

This way you have something impressive to show a future employer should you need to and a way of demonstrating your experience which is auditable - someone could go look at your work for example.

Last edited:
I did a 2393 course at the end of my initial inspection & testing course,and it was pretty much what the chaps have said about it! One electrician walked out, when the lecturer told him it wouldn't allow him to 'notify' works. It's petty much a read through of the 'Electricians Guide to the Building Regs'. If you think that would help your knowledge of building regs, then you might find it useful. The 'Schemes' might see this as a useful qualification to enrol with them, BUT I would check that first. As regards the 2394 & 2395, you may want to think about putting off the 2395, which is for electrical installation conditions reports (or periodic inspection as it was know), and aimed at experienced electricians. If you forgive me, it may be you could do with some more experience before contemplating such work anyway.

Jib approved gold card is a good starting point

Paper qualifications are important, but worthless without experience, any numpty who can read and has an ounce of common sense could pass most city and guild exams(maybe with exception to the good ol' 2391, used to sort the men from the boys that one)

you wont get a gold card without at least a bit of experience

shame ive never once been asked for mine though

I tried to do Part P Course, just wanted to do every dam course there was.. But the FE i asked about it said with my Qualification why bother. Think all i had at the time was L3 2330 like yourself.

Qualified Electrician looking the Lines of NVQ3 the 2357 and AM2

I think to go a bit above that is 2394/5 and 2396 (level 4 in design)
i did think that the 2391 when split was the 2394/5/6 (think i read that some were)

"signing off work"?
What a load of nonsense. Every electrician should be competent enough to "sign off" his or her own work. If he/she cannot do this then they should consult the Asda/Tesco HR department.
The only restriction on who can and cannot "sign off" work is in the domestic environment. This is because domestic electrical work is obviously so much more dangerous and demanding than work in any other area of the trade.
You may have picked up some element of sarcasm in this post.

In Scotland, an apprenticeship with SVQ level 3 (about 4 years ) will class you as a time served ,qualified electrician. However as many know, you never stop learning. Inspection and testing 2391 (2394/2395) is also the benchmark for a lot of employers and clients these days. If you have these then there should be no problems with certifying your own work.

Reply to What Qualifications Class you as a fully Qualified Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net