Discuss What work am I able to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan Lee

Hello

I am a qualified electrician with level 3 2330, and 17th edition wiring regulations qualifications. I do not possess 2391.

I no longer work full time as an electrician and am curious as to whether I am able to advertise and carry out any work myself, despite not having 2391 and being part of a governing body?

If so, what work?

Many thanks

Ryan

The short answer is anything you're confident in your abilities to do.
Imo every electrician should be able to test and certify his/her own work. After all we're taught (or should have been) to do it during our apprenticeships.
Don't forget, there is no need to notify any commercial or industrial work (obviously the electricity in those environments is less hazardous than in a domestic situation lol)

Hello

I am a qualified electrician with level 3 2330, and 17th edition wiring regulations qualifications. I do not possess 2391.

I no longer work full time as an electrician and am curious as to whether I am able to advertise and carry out any work myself, despite not having 2391 and being part of a governing body?

If so, what work?

Many thanks

Ryan

As what's already been said above....

BTW, the part P providers are not governing bodies, they govern nothing!! They are there purely to collect annual fee's from the qualified electricians, and to allow those that are not qualified in any way shape or form, be deemed as a competent person on the same fee.....

Yup, schemes are mostly just a badge you wear that you've paid for.

The only miniscule plus point is being in one proves you have a calibrated piece of test equipment....as for using it.....

read part p of the building regs. downloadable from planning portal.

basically, in a domestic situation, the following work needs to be notified to LABC.

1. new circuits. 2. CU replacement. 3. any work in a special location, e.g. bathroom.

notification is easiest done by being a member of one of the scams. alternatively:

pay LABC to test/inspect/certify. cost around £300.

sod it, do it, certify it. nobody's ever been prosecuted for doing the job right and not notifying.

on second thoughts, very few have been prosecuted for doing it wrong as long as they've done a 5week course and paid their subs to a scam.

Yup, schemes are mostly just a badge you wear that you've paid for.

The only miniscule plus point is being in one proves you have a calibrated piece of test equipment....as for using it.....

I thought the sticker on the tester and the corresponding certificate sorted that out!!

When it comes to scheme providers and commercial works.
We have been asked of late on the commercial front to provide proof of competence via a JIB card.
As said more than once, different companies, different facilities managers.
These companies often use outside contractors registered with the likes of NICEIC or ELECSA ect.
Clearly they are learning, or maybe even have had experience of young apprentices covering qualified electricians work under the companies scheme providers banner.
Bottom line ;
Being a member of a scheme provider does not prove in any way that the man on the tools is qualified or competent.
Its nice to see that companies are catching on, and asking for more before letting god knows who loose on there electrical installations.
Some domestic works needs signing off under part P and if your crossing T's and dotting I's
Then membership can make signing off a bit cheaper for you, but that about all there good for.

I have recently issued an eic for a couple of new circuits one of which was a special location downloaded from iet website as usual (I used to be in napit and nic but now i save my money) I was asked for the cert to be resubmitted by BC using a scam provider .I then said i would email him my 2391 as proof of competance he agreed and accepted this (west lancs )

I have recently issued an eic for a couple of new circuits one of which was a special location downloaded from iet website as usual (I used to be in napit and nic but now i save my money) I was asked for the cert to be resubmitted by BC using a scam provider .I then said i would email him my 2391 as proof of competance he agreed and accepted this (west lancs )

Our local BI/BC dept also agreed to accept my credentials. I rarely do domestic, it was a love job for the outlaws.

I thought the sticker on the tester and the corresponding certificate sorted that out!!

Yes of course, I'm just pointing out a little bit of logic.

you can not be in a scheme and have an un calibrated meter (well not too long)

you can be not in a scheme and have a calibrated meter

and

you can be not in a scheme and have a piece of crap meter.

don't start picking on me, you!!

Hello

If so, what work?

Many thanks

Ryan
...You can help me tag and trim me pals 5 sheep,if you want...:icon12: ...now the serious bit...there is what YOU know,and are confident in doing,and there is what may or may not be required to enable you to do that,as a business. In truth,you probably know the answer to the first,and are looking for some reinforcement. If you are to be trading your skill-sets as a self-employed individual,i would heartily recommend being 100% confident in what you intend to do,or the public will finish you. Whenever i read advice i have given,regarding this subject,i always seem a bit hard,but to survive in the real world,you will require the kind of "front",that precludes asking "am i good enough?" Maybe write down,being brutally honest,two lists of your skills/ favourite tasks,and of your short-comings/dis-likes. Leave it a day,then pick it up and read it as if a mates list,then pick a career for that mate. It is possibly growing up with Gypsies,Showmen and farmers,but telling people who and what i am,has never been a problem,front and manners proving to be a better tool in achieving a foot-in-the-door,than paperwork,short term speaking anyway. Then,you keep that foot there with your skill/quals or whatever is needed. I wish you well,and if you post up some thoughts,i would do my best to help.Cheers bud :icon12:

PEG

Doesn’t the shift, space bar or enter work on your keyboard? I really can’t be arsed to try to read that post.
That is fine,it was directed at another,less versed in the art of cynical, pedantic asides...:icon12: Happy New Year,and i wish you ,the very best,even though you omitted a comma, between the words "enter" and "work" :santa1:

My opinion is the fact that you feel you need to ask the question means that you should really have someone with you or at the very least making sure someone else who is fully qualified tests and certs your work. It sounds as if you have some knowledge but lack the detail and maybe the confidence. So be sure you carry out the work safely and ensure someone else tests it. Ask for their feedback on your work also as this is vital if you are to become a better spark.

My opinion is the fact that you feel you need to ask the question means that you should really have someone with you or at the very least making sure someone else who is fully qualified tests and certs your work. It sounds as if you have some knowledge but lack the detail and maybe the confidence. So be sure you carry out the work safely and ensure someone else tests it. Ask for their feedback on your work also as this is vital if you are to become a better spark.
I dont think it makes it a fact that he needs someone with him at work just because he asked a question,the rules are always changing so asking questions to clarify the situation is a wise move. If you worked for a firm for the last 15 years you might not have had any interest /knowledge of part p regulations.

I dont think it makes it a fact that he needs someone with him at work just because he asked a question,the rules are always changing so asking questions to clarify the situation is a wise move. If you worked for a firm for the last 15 years you might not have had any interest /knowledge of part p regulations.

I do not understand your comment as I did not say it was a fact that he d=needed someone with him.. Read my comment again and I will await your reply.

Reply to What work am I able to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net