Discuss which regs addition to apply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi im just wondering which regs addition to apply i have a domestic dwelling to check the electrics and add some minor works and also inspect and test. The additions are coming off excisiting circuits and the installation is 15th/16th addition. On inspection the DB is an old wylex with rewire fuses and the bonding is in 6mm. So do i take it i am obliged to upgrade the fuse board to one with mcbs and the bonding to 10mm or do i do the work to the 16th addition and put down on the PIR a recommendation that it be upgraded, i mean how far do you go with it obviousley its not up to 17th addition so you couldnt apply those regs as the circuits arnt wired that way for starters. The owners are letting the property out so they need the cert. I have had several different answers from different electricians. I did my 2381 2391 2382 and cant remember anything mentioned about this type of situation. So do i upgrade the part of the house that is 15th to the 16th and upgrade the db and bonding and do i test to the 15th and 16th as there are two different insatllations confused.com spike

Hiya bud, for a PIR all you got to do is report on the condition of the electrics any non compliances you give them a number of 1 to 4, its up to the customer if they want any remedial works done but any 1 or 2's i'll generally do them before i leave the job although some issue a dangerous electrics certificate, cheers,Joe

Hiya bud, for a PIR all you got to do is report on the condition of the electrics any non compliances you give them a number of 1 to 4, its up to the customer if they want any remedial works done but any 1 or 2's i'll generally do them before i leave the job although some issue a dangerous electrics certificate, cheers,Joe

Cheers joe much obliged sometimes its a little confusing ive been a sparky for 27 years have done my 2360 and re-sat my 2330 as my company offerd to pay for it lol but ive been out in oz working so i have been doing all there regs certificates (AS3000) so sometimes my brain cant keep up lol cheers anyway my friend

Any pir you carry out will be for comparison with the current,the 17 th edition
The installation may have been installed to a previous edition,but the regs are not retrospective,so any deviations would be noted and coded because of the non compliance and action recomended to bring the installation up to 17th

Doing any additioanal work is another matter
To install extra sockets or lights,the addition must comply with the current regs
You may comply by making the additional part of the circuit comply or the whole of the circuit possibly RCD if buried or a socket etc
The bonding must be upgraded to current standards for any addition though,a new consumer unit would be unlikely to be required for most situations

Any pir you carry out will be for comparison with the current,the 17 th edition
The installation may have been installed to a previous edition,but the regs are not retrospective,so any deviations would be noted and coded because of the non compliance and action recomended to bring the installation up to 17th

Doing any additioanal work is another matter
To install extra sockets or lights,the addition must comply with the current regs
You may comply by making the additional part of the circuit comply or the whole of the circuit possibly RCD if buried or a socket etc
The bonding must be upgraded to current standards for any addition though,a new consumer unit would be unlikely to be required for most situations

Hi des when you refer to doing additional work your refering to new circuits arnt you as additions to excisting circuits may not comply when you read the part of the reg that states "Also, as it’s important to ensure that a single fault does not cause inconvenience, danger or other hazards, more than one 30mA RCD will be required." some houses only have one ring and one lighting circuit so would be immpossible to apply this let me know your thoughts cheers spike

Reply to which regs addition to apply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net