Discuss Who can change a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Only today: just change it, It has been working for years, I will say I did it...

Heard that before?

2 hours getting a new circuit in because there was no way to use the old one. (twisted earths, if any, mixed CSA, maxed out diversity, godknows what else) .

if your testing one circuit as you would be for a minor works cert it doesnt really take that long 1 hour max.

In an ideal world and with no complications, sure , but I've been to some places where getting satisfactory access to the CU would take an hour on its own, never mind doing anything else.
I'm certainly not advocating not to do any testing, just don't think it is always as cut and dry as some would have you believe.

know what you mean. last week found a wylex with 3036 rewireables under the kitchen sink. this was how it had been installed as new build , 1970's.

The worlds full of bloody paperwork....cert for changing a like for like accessory is overkill IMO. There was a time when a professional electrician was deemed competant to carry out such a simple job in a safe manner,he wasnt expected to provide a bit of paper to prove it.
If I change a socket like for like I will check earthing,bonding if possible and carry out a Zs test to verify polarity and disconnection times....nothing else,and if the customer wants a bit of paper because they dont trust my experience,they can bloody well pay for it.

EDIT....been thinking about it and going to rant now.
A while back did a CU change and EICR on a rented house. 2 certs issued. Month or so later was asked back to install a shower....duplicate EIC issued to cover shower install. Then got asked back again to install 2 sockets and an outside light...3 different circuits so 3 MW certs.
Thats 6 certs on one house in the space of a couple of months

As a qualified electrician why cant I be deemed competant to carry out alterations to an existing install without an avalanche of paper?.....As a qualified electrician surely I can be trusted to leave any work I carry out in a safe condition?...if I'm not qualified or competant I'm going to jackanory the cert anyway.
Is anyone else sick to death of spending half their working time ticking boxes and sending off mountains of forms to people who dont understand and probably bin them anyway?
rant over.....got to get to the office and fill in the certs for yesterdays jobs now.:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Wirepuller couldn,t agree more like the part p crap nobody went round checking all the fittings in every house to make sure nothing was added without a cert did they?doesn,t stop the diy brigade making a mess,in fact when all this was coming out part p,colour change etc one chap even went out and bought cable in the old red and black as he said he could do his own wiring and nobody would know when it was done as the colours would all be the same!I,ve given up doing domestic work now as there is to much hassle with it,that and diy,ers trying to tell you your job.

Reply to Who can change a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net