Discuss Why does the UK use rings for sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Main intake protection is a S type RCD each set of eight MCB's have their own RCD.

1mm cable tends to be hook up (Purple) or switched live (Orange), not allowed for sockets, I have not come across it in Brown, Blue or Green Yellow.

Obviously the normal three core flex is available for lights which would be covered by a 6 amp MCB and would count as one of the eight.

Last edited:
I take it you're allowed to use radials for sockets?

So why does anyone bother with rings, seems like extra hassle to me.
Depends on the number of sockets required. One or two sockets radial are ok but larger cable required. You can have any number of 13 amp sockets on a ring circuit as the floor area is the limiting factor. Use 2.5 t&e in a ring and wired back to a 32 amp breaker will prevent overloading circuit. Saves cable run in the long run!

Depends on the number of sockets required. One or two sockets radial are ok but larger cable required. You can have any number of 13 amp sockets on a ring circuit as the floor area is the limiting factor. Use 2.5 t&e in a ring and wired back to a 32 amp breaker will prevent overloading circuit. Saves cable run in the long run!

Bear in mind the amount of insulation often encountered these days. May need 4mm.

Not for comedic effect, any country not a member of the exclusive EU club is referred to by the EU as a third world country which we will become on 31st December, well strictly speaking the 1st January. To me this indicates how above everyone else the EU think they are.

So the EU thinks anywhere other than inside the EU is third world?
America? Australia? China?

I think there’s been a translation error made somewhere, or a misleading headline from the daily mail (surely not!)

Anyway, this is a “why use rings” thread. Apologies for skewing off subject.

Not for comedic effect, any country not a member of the exclusive EU club is referred to by the EU as a third world country which we will become on 31st December, well strictly speaking the 1st January. To me this indicates how above everyone else the EU think they are.
Third country - not third world.

That's not what third world means!

It is from the cold war, all nato pact countries are first world countries, all Walsaw pact countries are second world, and all countries not aligned with either are third world.

The uk would remain in nato so remains first world when we leave.

Some countries within the eu were not aligned with nato or walsaw, so fall into the third world category, prosperous ones such as Ireland, Sweden etc were/are third world.

It just so happens that many third world countries were developing countries at the time of the cold War so some people erroneously associate third world with an insult, first world with "the best of the best" and so on.

Last edited:
That's not what third world means!

It is from the cold war, all nato pact countries are first world countries, all Walsall pact countries are second world, and all countries not aligned with either are third world.

The uk would remain in nato so remains first world when we leave.

It just so happens that many third world countries were developing countries at the time of the cold War so some people erroneously associate third world with an insult, first world with "the best of the best" and so on.
Interesting bit of background thank you. Walsall or Warsaw???

Yes "Third Country" not "Third World Country" sorry for any confusion, but still how the EU perceives anyone not in the club.

Third country isn't any perception it's just a classification!

First country within the EU refers to EU states it is synonymous with EU members
Second country within the EU refers to Associated states it is synonymous with EEA members
Third country within the EU refers to non-EU states it is synonymous with non-EU members

And it isn't restricted to the EU

First country within the UK refers to UK countries - i.e England, Scotlamd, Wales, NI
Second country within the UK refers to UK territories such as isle of man etc
Third country within the UK refers to non-UK countries or territories

Basically there are sub classifications, but it basically means first have free passage/entry, third have no right of entry - perhaps needing a visa, or not - and second have limited passage/entry

Reply to Why does the UK use rings for sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net