Discuss WiFi PV Monitoring Auto update to PVOutput? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

VMan

Ok Guys,
I Have a Wattson energy meter monitoring my PV and domestic energy usage.
I know alot of you guys dont like them but i seem to love it.
Only annoying thing is extracting the data and auto uploading it to PVoutput.org all the time.

I have 2 inverters, so don't want to fork out for 2 lots of display devices / bluetooth for both inverters so am happy with a clamp on current sensing device.

Do you know of any similar devices that will connect to my router, either WIFI or ethernet and update my readings to PV output?

Im still waiting for the Raspberry Pi to come in stock, i may play with one of them and try get the wattson to auto upload to pv output if theres no suitible solution.

Thanks in advance,

Can't see why the inverter companies haven't developed an app. They use Bluetooth anyone got time on their hands to write an app ?

Think the inverter companies are missing a trick monitoring is so important to customers and installers - nedap have a great interface but the inverters are £, although they have some interesting battery storage options.

I believe it's possible with a Current Cost ENViR and a Netsmart wireless bridge via Pachube.

Current Cost Support Forum • View topic - Bridge and PVOutput.org

yes, definitely possible that way and I have that method working on mine. Bear in mind that, as with any device, the measuring transducer is the issue. Current clamps such as on Wattson (and I use one of those as well) are pretty hopeless due to power factor incorrection. If your generation meter has a pulse output (a flashing LED) then a more accurate method is to buy the EnviR monitor with an optismart measurement transducer instead of the more common current clamp. The Optismart clips onto the pulse LED and is then wireless paired with the EnviR. The envir connects to a smart bridge with a rather too short cable and then you need a WIRED ethernet connection between the smart bridge and your router. It is not wireless.

The EnviR sends a feed every few minutes through the smart bridge to the web and is intercepted by the current cost website where statistics can be displayed. I also feed mine to pvout.org via Pachube. It's a bit of a fiddle to set up but works fine once running.

The connection between the EnviR and the web has a habit of freezing every now and again and that is the only headache in that regard.

The optismart is accurate to within a fraction of a percent when running. Far better than the wattson.

Just taken a look at the old Wattson readings since i have had it installed, Watson shows generated 300kWh, gen meter showing 298kWh, - not bad me thinks

as for 'power in use' in not sure, didn't take a reading off my import meter, but if its recording inductive and capacitive activities, then my bill should be lower than wattson is showing me :p

Had a bash at linux debian on VM machine in preparation for a raspberry Pi, if anyone can recommend any programming languages similar to visual basic for Linux i would be most greatfull.

v

Reply to WiFi PV Monitoring Auto update to PVOutput? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net