Discuss Will I find work ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave61

Hope you experience people can help me with this.
I did 236 pts 1 & 2 with 15th edithion regs around 18 years ago,aside from friends and family domestic I never really took used the qualifications to earn a living.
I have now been made redundent from my job and have been given the chance to do the 17th edition and the part P courses.
Without any great experience in the game is there much chance that I would find work,either working for a company or for myself.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your job Dave and welcome to forum.

as for job prospects well to be honest mate if I had your CV with your qualifications, but 18 yrs out of the industry and another with a guy with the same qualifications, but had stayed in the industry, then really it would be the other lad.

Unfortunately there are many many experienced guys looking for work, just look at some of the threads on here.

As for going it alone, well I'm pretty sure you could pass an assessment, get the 17th on board and make a go of it, by signing upto a self certification scheme

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with Malc^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you can find another job in what you were doing i would go with that.

If you have never been self employed you will find it hard, especially in this economic climate.

Saying that, maybe do the course while looking for another job. If nothing comes up at least you will be qualified and you can start to build a business.

Hope it goes well for you.

What have you been working as since you did the 15th etc as this could lend itself to getting a job in the industry if it was connected in some way

I agree with topcat here the current economical climateis not good plus it does not help with all these "Be a electrician in 5weeks" companies plus the Scheme providers as usual are being irresponsible ie will sell courses to anyone and trying to bag memebers as I have said before their sales divisions are in full flight and we all know where that will take us ie too many paper qualified electricians and a dilution of the trade.

Don't bother with what is called "The part p course". I looked at the one at my local college when it was first introduced and it's a total load of old guff. You would be better off doing 17th and getting some text books. You will need a copy of Approved Document P but there's a book called "The Electrician's Guide To The Building Regulations"

Thanks for the input lads ,I appreciate you making the effort.

The job I`ve been doing isn`t connected with the trade at all I`m afraid.

It looks like I won`t have to pay for the courses I have looked at,so it seems that they will be worth doing anyway.

Do any of you think I could use this as a means an extra income on top of a badly paid main job,or are the set up costs and registrations too expensive to make this viable.( I was thinking of advertising myself locally for domestic work evenings and weekends.)

Hope it dosn`t sound too silly an idea.

Thanks.

Honestly Dave if you are in England and Wales and go down the LEGAL route of Part P and all it's silliness, then just doing PJ's at nights and weekends may be prohibitive.

To join a scheme you need calibrated test gear, insurances, rack of technical books, the cost of the scheme itself and so you could be looking at start up costs for a scheme well into the hundreds ............ it really would depend on how much work would you likely be getting !!!

Now if you was not to join a scheme .......................well I'll leave that up to your imagination

I know what Malc's saying (cryptically) and i couldn't possibly comment on that! The only thing i would say is that the reference and technical books will be mostly needed to do your 17th course so i don't think that is an issue. So do your course get qualified and try and get yourself a client base up together(whichever way you chose) and you are investing in your future. Good luck.

I know what Malc's saying (cryptically) and i couldn't possibly comment on that! The only thing i would say is that the reference and technical books will be mostly needed to do your 17th course so i don't think that is an issue. So do your course get qualified and try and get yourself a client base up together(whichever way you chose) and you are investing in your future. Good luck.

Moi...............................

Reply to Will I find work ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net