Discuss Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Main thing is it's safe. And if a fellow sparks has a silicone fetish who am I to judge?!

Basically construct something with wood to cover it.
What comes to mind is a batten on the top of the boxing lid (carefully attached to miss cables and so the lid is still removeable) and a bit of hardboard attached in turn to that extending up in front of cables.
OR two triangle side pieces screwed to sides and a bit of hardboard on the front of them.
I think the triangle approach will be necessary as those cables especially the main cable is not level with the current boxing. This extra boxing will need to kick out in some way.

Why people silicone when you can get the proper membrane grommets is beyond me, that looks horrible to me.
Would love to see underneath that cover.
The question has to be asked, if membrane grommets are the proper thing why are they not supplied with the CU.
I think the triangle approach will be necessary as those cables especially the main cable is not level with the current boxing. This extra boxing will need to kick out in some way.

Last edited:
The question has to be asked, if membrane grommets are the proper thing why are they not supplied with the CU.

See Post 119.

Depends what you need to use though. Compression glands, membrane grommets, SWA glands. Or maybe none if all entering from the back. They can't really include a full pack of every type and size with every consumer unit

I wonder what the cost would be compared to the ones they do supply and get thrown away, perhaps leave one out, but supply a useful set of grommets instead (Tel no Wallace jokes please).

Last edited:

Reply to Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net