Discuss Wire in the in-built wardrobe's wall vs regulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have no electrical experience but would like to pick up some knowledge on the following issue.
I've had an in-built wardrobe in one of the bedrooms in my house which needed removing. Upon tearing down the walls I found out that majority of the electrical cables ran in the wall of the wardrobe (it's not even a room wall) - photos attached. The cables go into the attic and then to all the rooms in the house. The room itself is right under the stairs.
This is a new build property and I wanted to ask if such a cable arrangement is complying with the regulations? As I can't think of a worse location for laying the cables in the walls. I just want to know if this was laziness on the part of the developer but legally OK or I can report it and have the cables relaid properly.
Any help will be much appreciated.

IMG_20181210_170130880.jpg

IMG_20181210_105713840_HDR.jpg

What’s your intention for the cupboard - it’s not like it has a floor or anything!
It’s technically the airing cupboard but without the immersion of old. Lots of people put a tubular heater in there and store towels etc.

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun there.
There are a number of requirements for concealing cables in walls.
One is that they are at a depth greater than 50mm.
Another is that if they are at a depth less than 50mm, they should be run in a prescribed route and be protected by an RCD.
What is the width of those lengths of timber, and what is the distance of the holes from the edge of the timber?

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun there.
There are a number of requirements for concealing cables in walls.
One is that they are at a depth greater than 50mm.
Another is that if they are at a depth less than 50mm, they should be run in a prescribed route and be protected by an RCD.
What is the width of those lengths of timber, and what is the distance of the holes from the edge of the timber?

The width of the timber is ~95mm. On top of that, there was a 12mm or 15mm plasterboard, either side of the frame. However, that lower beam was drilled at a really funny angle, certainly not in the middle.

IMG_20190129_224502807.jpg

IMG_20190129_224629821.jpg

Hi - it doesn't look like they've been run in the zones for cables but the pic suggests the added framing and plasterboard may achieve the >50mm depth exemption. If so, it probably complies.

I would think the cupboard walls are made the same as any partition wall in the property regarding width.
I don’t think they are in the wrong place, and it’s going to be a pain having them moved now

I cant see how it can possibly comply? They are clearly not in a correct zone. Its tempting to say 'why have they done it like this!', perhaps there is a reason but I expect it would have been easy enough to run then within 150mm of the wall, so I'm not sure why they didn't.

The width of the timber is ~95mm. On top of that, there was a 12mm or 15mm plasterboard, either side of the frame. However, that lower beam was drilled at a really funny angle, certainly not in the middle.

View attachment 47484

View attachment 47485
looking at that pic. those holes must have been done by a plumber who failed to go to specsavers.

even if >50mm deep, cables should still be run in prescribed zones. those cable don't.
Hi - completely agree that cables should be located in the zones and for some reason this Installer seems to have gone out of their way to not use them - plenty of corners for them to've picked from.

Reading 522.6.202 opening sentence gives the zone exemption if >50mm they may be relying on (?).

You may be able to argue successfully that the cables should be re-installed properly. If successful you have the problem they will send the same idiots operatives who put them in to "correct" it.

Reply to Wire in the in-built wardrobe's wall vs regulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net