Discuss Wiring a commercial cellar in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

L&B Electrics

Hi Guys just a quick one

I'm working on a consevative club at the moment doing a 3 phase re-wire, all the normal circuits are in FP but i have to do the cellar where the barrels, beer are e.t.c can FP be used or do i have to use SWA????

My first reaction is to find who wrote the specification that the rewire was to be completed in FP, and ask them.

You may have concerns about FP in such a suitation, but the decision to use FP would of been for insurance reasons, and I would think that ANY deviation from such specs needs to be obtained in writing and triple signed.

hi jules, thanks for that but it is the actual council that have stipulated that the job be done in pyro/ fp but no spec on the cellar?? i hate pyro hence me asking if the job can be done in FP using ip65 sockets e.t.c

If you are working on a council job, DO NOT ask someone for help deciding.

Some where in the preambles of your tender documents, there will be the contact details of the CONTRACTS ADMINISTRATOR - or some such jumped up git, ask them for specifications for the basement install. Only when you have it in writing from them that they dont know, or dont mind, can you make it up.

I have managed council rewires, and it isnt worth second guessing. Remember, if they dont like it, they wont pay for it, and will expect it corrected without charge.

After managing over £1.3M / year of Social Housing decent homes refurbs, I would not let my guys fart without checking the contract.

Their moto -"We didn't ask for it, so we ain't paying for it!"

this is the thing jules there is no speci as such from the council it is the commitee/ fire chief that have asked for the wiring to be in FP but to cover my arse i do not know what to do the cellar in, ( it is my father that is the chairman of this building) i just want to do a professional job

Then get it in writing from the Fire Cheif that he accepts your recommendation that the basement cellar is wired in SWA, to suit enviromental conditions.

Still don't really understand why you dont want to use FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
FP was designed to replace pyro to make it easier to install.

But, as has been said, you need to contact the designer and ask why it has to be pyro instead of FP.

Its easy for us to say, yeah use FP, but its not our name or insurance.

look at the beer dispense regs from the LVA these give you guide lines for cellers etc but you must also comply with bs7671 re water and possible damage etc

yeah, rcbo's 100% already got that taken care of cheers...

its a big job so the cellar will be getting done last as have approx 6wks work there

Reply to Wiring a commercial cellar in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net