Discuss Wiring a fan and a light so they operate at the same time? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

woodywoods12345

Hi,

Im new here, so bare with me!

I wonder if anyone can help? In my bathroom my extractor fan used to turn on at the same time when you pull the light cord.

Today, i put a new light up and when i removed the base there was 6 wires coming from the ceiling, one set of 3 had black, blue and a yellow/green wire. The other set of 3 had red black and yellow/green.

I wired the light using the black, blue and green wires. However, now only the light works, so im left without a fan!

How do i manage to get them both working? Do i have to wire both red wires to the one red wire in the light fixing?

The light fixing itself only has 3 sockets (im not sure of the technical term)

Sorry if this doesnt make any sense - as you can tell im new to electrics!!

Can anyone help? Thank you!

(ps thanks for having me! :D)

did the fan run on after the light was switched off? from your post, i suggest you get a qualified electrician in. wiring in bathrooms is no job for inexperienced guys.

no the fan does'nt come on anymore, the light works, but the fan doesn't - they used to come on together when the light cord was pulled.

Im no electrician by any means, but I've installed new lights in every other room no problem at all - as they only had 1 set of 3 wires.

this one is a bit confusing though because there are two sets. Thats all! i dont have the money to get an electrician in :(

honestly, without seeing it , i can't tell you what to put where

Much as i would like to help mate, wiring up fans and lights is not rocket science but it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, and don't have the right kit to sort it out. It may cost an hour to get a sparky out to sort it for you, but this is far cheaper than a stay in casualty, or even an hour at the crematorium, and don't be fooled by the 6amp circuit breaker, if the prospective fault current in your house is 2000 or 3000 amps (not uncommon) then this is what you could put across your heart for a second or 2, you probably wont feel anything after the first second though.

Cheers.........Howard

Can't afford to get an electrician in but what do you think, expensive car, new plush kitchen, new flat screen tv etc etc. Hear this rubbish every day as of late.

I'm sticking to my guns, if you don't know what your doing, then dont start to do it.

Rule number one for an amateur (like me). Need to change a fitting? Take careful note of the existing wiring,
2. Might get confused by two different similar coloured wires? Mark one with a strip of tape.
3. Write info down so when the phone goes half way through you haven't forgotten what went where.
4. Confused ? Get a sparks in.

been called out to loads of similar scenarios. usually when client can,t distinguish between neutral and switched live. i usually charge between £30 and £50. job done, all safe, and all for the cost of an evening at the local!!!

Rule number one for an amateur (like me). Need to change a fitting? Take careful note of the existing wiring,
2. Might get confused by two different similar coloured wires? Mark one with a strip of tape.
3. Write info down so when the phone goes half way through you haven't forgotten what went where.
4. Confused ? Get a sparks in.

If they all bothered to do a little planning like yourself, it would make a simple job easy. 10 out of 10, its a customer like this I don't mind helping if they run into to trouble TBH.

Reply to Wiring a fan and a light so they operate at the same time? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net