Discuss Wiring a small hairdressors shop - what are requirements for RCD Protection ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electek

Hi , Looking at the possibility of doing a rewire in a small hairdressing shop and wondered what are the requirements for RCD protection ?

The requirements would simply be for sockets , lighting (probably functional and decorative) , water heater e.t.c.

How do the regs alter when moving from domestic (residential) to a small commercial application ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Reg's are Reg's they don't change, howerver part p dosent come into it . I would instll socket outlets incorperating an RCD in front of house and rcd protection from the D.B on sockets back of house . I would'nt RCD anything else.

But i thought all wiring buried 50mm or less in walls had to have RCD Protection , or is this just part 'p' ?

Thanks for help.

As it's classed as a commercial installation and Barry Bodgit won't be poking around part p dosent apply
however your still be installing to 17th and you being a decent spark wont be burying T& E in plaster will you.

Judging by some of the barbers shops I've been to, I would wire it as domestic and rcd everything - it may be a commercial property but it could be 'Barry Bodgit's Barbers'; similarly if you quote for galv conduit they'll probably give the job to someone who'll do it cheaper (ie T&E in the walls).

did i ever mention i need to shift some conduit!! :D:D:D last night i turned some of it into cable reels!!

back to job,

i would RCD it as customers and wet hair / hair washing drying water might go every where, plus they have a habbit of screwing photos and displays to walls!! including fixtures and fancy xmas stuff!
:eek:

As it's classed as a commercial installation and Barry Bodgit won't be poking around part p dosent apply
however your still be installing to 17th and you being a decent spark wont be burying T& E in plaster will you.

The 50mm rule applies to ALL installations not just domestic so if your cables are less than 50mm and not protected by earthed metal protection you have to RCD it.

I would run 4mm radials out to each work station for sockets, water heaters etc.

2.5mm radial into the restroom or whatever they have for making tea etc.
same for waiting area.

And a couple more feeding twin sockets for those hairdryer things they sit under for hours.

Install 2 or 3 lighting circuits.

shove the lot on RCBO's

Might be a bit pricey but just point out to customer that if one circuit fails then business can carry on as normal "ish". And any subsequent fault finding will be quicker and easier.

I bet he or she wont have to cut too many heads to pay for it anyway, I know people who pay upwards of £80 for a hairdo, and thats just the blokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some comments about barry bodgit in hairdressers but there to cutting!!

Some of these cowboys drift about Hair today gone tommorow no Perm,anant address.

Last edited:
The cables buried less than 50mm applies to installations not under the control of a skilled or instructed person.
Do you consider a hair dresser to be skilled or instructed?

The 50mm rule applies to ALL installations not just domestic so if your cables are less than 50mm and not protected by earthed metal protection you have to RCD it.

That is in essence what I have stated

The cables buried less than 50mm applies to installations not under the control of a skilled or instructed person.

No but then I don't expect a hair dresser to playing with his electrics, might just go against the terms and conditions of his p/l policy -

No reason not to bury them

Without proper protection I.E. Metal capping!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Without proper protection I.E. Metal capping!![/QUOTE]
Sorry but metal capping doesn't count.I recon I'd treat it as domestic and give them at least 2 x 30ma rcds to play with and mix sockets and lights so as not left totally in the dark when one trips.

I may have misinterpreted the bit about burying cables, I now realise you meant ibstalling in plaster with no protection, there is nothing wrong with installing cables in commercial property in plaster with capping and RCD protection or in metal conduit that is earthed.

You really need to be careful when applying this rule, I have just left the ECA and their stance is that in a place with instructed / skilled person it is ok to not RCD cables in wall and office sockets etc, I have now joined the NICEIC and their stance is the opposite, they say that by default all socket circuits in offices should be RCD protected unless you can prove it is not necessary,

Last edited:
I dont think any individual or organisation can give a difinitive answer to the skilled instructed get out clause.your better making your own judgement

Its my bet that when ammendments are next made they will try and clear this one up
How could they initially bring out a reg that is so many confusing things to so many people is puzzling

After all their days, weeks, or even years of pondering,they came out with this most pathetic instruction,and we then have to pay to have a copy of it in our book ,funny world

Reply to Wiring a small hairdressors shop - what are requirements for RCD Protection ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net