Discuss Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it's incorrect.
The four way copper bar bridges the lives across the bottom. Will leave you with one spare way for another MCB if required in the future.
The live for the socket-outlet should be connected at the top.
As some have pointed out, the 32A MCB is not correct if the socket-outlet is fed using 2.5mm² cable, should be 16A or at most 20A.
Oh by the way, as it's a replacement, there is no requirement for notification.

I disagree spin. ALL consumer unit replacements are notifiable, regardless of whether it is like-for-like.

Yes the Part P document does indicate that CU replacements are notifiable.
However in my area, it is only those CUs that are fed from the mains that the LABC consider as being notifiable.
Other CUs such as those used for bath/shower rooms, garages, sheds, etc. are not considered as being notifiable.
The reason given, being that a CU fed from the mains, cannot be de-energised wiout removal of the main fuse, whereas CUs fed from a way in another CU can.

Now I'm retired, I've been looking on e-bay for a decent lathe as I'm thinking about getting back into Model Engineering. I've got two steam locos that I started to build all those years ago & I'm thinking it would be nice to finish them.

Great hobby. Best advice is to find a good local club. Loads of help and advice and somewhere to run the loco when it's finished.

By the way, I'm webmaster here:
GMES - Guildford Model Engineering Society

Totaly agree some of the comments where more than alittle sharp and out of order.

The main problem with the original pic was the busbar connection as it was drawn connected over the L & N of the RCD (although it was drawn in blue OP did state it was the busbar and not neutral cables).

Regarding the big orange shed etc, i still (and always will) have issue's with them being allowed to sell equipment to the DIYer encourageing them to play around with the most dangerous thing we use every day. I also have issue's with them selling plumbing gear in truth (and yes i have bought from there on a sunday when wholesalers are shut making me a hypocrit)..........Try and buy a gas fitting in there though and your stuffed as they dont sell them (last time i checked) due to safety issue's...go figure.

Comments out of order?? I don't think so. There was some p taking but the person apologised with a reasonable explanation.

Yes the Part P document does indicate that CU replacements are notifiable.
However in my area, it is only those CUs that are fed from the mains that the LABC consider as being notifiable.
Other CUs such as those used for bath/shower rooms, garages, sheds, etc. are not considered as being notifiable.
The reason given, being that a CU fed from the mains, cannot be de-energised wiout removal of the main fuse, whereas CUs fed from a way in another CU can.

That's fair enough mate, if that's how it works in your area. Just didn't want our DIY brigade thinking they could just change consumer units willy nilly without realising they are notifiable items.

Strima - thanks for the advice.
plugsandsparks: Its ok, don't start. Hold that thought and just keep it too yourself. But keep up the good work and rest assured whatever you post next wont be read as by the time u read this i have signed out and taken the couple of good bits of advice with me and already forgotten everything else.
Oh and I already posted what the definition of a forum is, thats what i was expecting but clearly thats 2 things i have wrong tonight. At least now i am more knowledgeable.
knowledgable about what?safe isolation?...Ze?...Zs?...RCD times?...In?....Iz?...Ib?....discrimination?.....if you want to get into sparkyin then go to college.....its your own property so you can do as you like for me......but if it goes wrong dont come crying in here...thats if your still alive that is....

Reply to Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net