Discuss Wiring in escape routes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

My understanding is that all wiring in escape routes requires fixing with metal fasteners/clips (safe D clips) every 300mm on the horizontal and 400mm on the vertical. I am currently upgrading 4 blocks of flats for a housing association.

Hope this helps

In my view wiring would need to comply with 422.2.1 and 521.11.201, plasterboard will give up to a maximum of 30 minutes protection depending on specification and to what and how it is fixed. According to regs wiring systems need to be fixed with suitable fixings to non combustible fabric of building. The regs specifically state so not to hinder evacuation and firefighting activities. In my view this may well reasonably take place after the expected fire resistance of plasterboard.

I just done a load of flats in a old mill complex, the escape routes are all on cable tray mounted on the steelwork with all cables sat on top so will not fall in a fire unless it was with the building falling down itself.

I just done a load of flats in a old mill complex, the escape routes are all on cable tray mounted on the steelwork with all cables sat on top so will not fall in a fire unless it was with the building falling down itself.

Did you use any steel ties on the tray?

The generally accepted standard around commercial new builds these days appears to be steel ties every metre regardless of the fact the cables can't get off the tray.

Did you use any steel ties on the tray?

The generally accepted standard around commercial new builds these days appears to be steel ties every metre regardless of the fact the cables can't get off the tray.

Not in this case and BC are happy as the tray runs through support bars every 1500mm so even taking the tray out of the loop say it was damaged by falling material the cables still cannot drop down without been physically severed every few meters. I used metal ties on the F/A cables on a seperate traywork as this isn't run within the same set-up, all fixed to brick with mini anchor bolts (no plastic plugs etc).

The problem I may face is that we are going to convert an old bank into a coffee shop & the ceilings may b retained. We are being asked to use existing circuits where possible but until I do my site survey today I'm still a bit in the dark.

Putting cable trays or trunking above ceilings before they are erected is fine, it becomes a problem when the main contractor states that the existing ceilings are to remain.

In my view wiring would need to comply with 422.2.1 and 521.11.201, plasterboard will give up to a maximum of 30 minutes protection depending on specification and to what and how it is fixed. According to regs wiring systems need to be fixed with suitable fixings to non combustible fabric of building. The regs specifically state so not to hinder evacuation and firefighting activities. In my view this may well reasonably take place after the expected fire resistance of plasterboard.

Reply to Wiring in escape routes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net