Discuss Wiring up a double oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jacktar

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me here. Below, I've pasted a sketch showing how my oven is currently wired up, followed by 3 potential solutions, but of course I'd be more than happy to see alternative propositions. But let me explain first. Currently, we have a double oven against one wall, and the cooker switch on the wall directly opposite, above and behind a gas hob. The cable for this is chased into the plasterwork and behind the tilework. Clearly someone moved the oven at some point, probably shifted the hob position (or more likely went from freestanding cooker to built in), but ducked re-wiring the cooker switch. That existing switch has to come out, it's position is plain dangerous. I plan to remedy this with a sunken wagobox, though admit I am uncomfortable that there would be no indication, for future owners, of a cable running down within the wall.

Back on the oven side, the supply cable comes down from a false ceiling and is chased into the wall until it emerges from the plasterwork behind the oven. There's no cooker switch, no junction box. I want to add both of these (switch, junction box) but am unsure a) if I'm allowed to go with solution 1, which is very straightforward; b) whether solution 2 is a permissible alternative, or c) if 1 & 2 are not allowed, is solution 3 correct? My concern here is having a switch directly above the heat source. For the switch to be readily accessible it could only go about 200 mm above the ovens as the top of these is already at around 1500mm. I don't want to move the cable unless I have to (but will if necessary) as this means taking down parts of the panelled false ceiling and that will become a bit expensive to repair. I should add that I know the regs don't require a cooker switch, but I don't like the idea of no immediately accessible means of isolating the ovens. It just feels wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Wiring up a double oven 1687283007035 - EletriciansForums.net

Quote Reply to jacktar
Report Edit Delete

Reply to Wiring up a double oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net