Discuss Worst place you've seen a fuseboard / consumer unit..?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyjohn1

Was round a job over the weekend,, asked the customer where the consumer unit was,,,,, led me to the cupboard under the stairs, not really a surprise.... but wasn't expecting this,, !! Lol...!!

Worst I've ever seen,,, !!! Although, it's an old Re-wirable Wylex, probably there before the toilet was put in,, so not really the sparkies fault... Plumber should have known better.!! Still worth a chuckle tho...//.

Brings a whole new meaning to locating a C/U in an accessible place.... hmm,,

DSC00008.jpg

Was round a job over the weekend,, asked the customer where the consumer unit was,,,,, led me to the cupboard under the stairs, not really a surprise.... but wasn't expecting this,, !! Lol...!!

Worst I've ever seen,,, !!! Although, it's an old Re-wirable Wylex, probably there before the toilet was put in,, so not really the sparkies fault... Plumber should have known better.!! Still worth a chuckle tho...//.

Brings a whole new meaning to locating a C/U in an accessible place.... hmm,,

View attachment 24583

You have never met a plumber have you?

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg I've posted it before but this is behind the washing machine after a new kitchen was designed and fitted. Its a mates house and lucky for the plumer and kitchen company it was done several years ago or I would be ripping them a new rectum!

image.jpg
Under the floor of a toilet being converted into a utility room. It's the DB for the flats in the block! They had to cut a hatch in the ceiling below to get access but wouldn't pay for relocating it

Shop fitters are some of the worst for this sort of thing , I had to remove a complete 2M run of racking system once together with all the stuff on the shelves and then the board had been moved by the guy who put the racking in so as he could get a fixing for the support timber and the whole DB was hanging suspended by the cables in mid air ,,,

Shop fitters are some of the worst for this sort of thing , I had to remove a complete 2M run of racking system once together with all the stuff on the shelves and then the board had been moved by the guy who put the racking in so as he could get a fixing for the support timber and the whole DB was hanging suspended by the cables in mid air ,,,

Hanging in the air...? Maybe he needed the extra Amps for reference method E

I swapped a light fitting the other week for a lady, I said where's the fuse box... She pointed at this small door in the kitchen next to the built in cooker...

it it must have been 18" x 20" this door, I opened it, I said where is it? She said behind the cooker...

The cooker had been built in to this apparent new wall and left a gap of around 6 to 8 inches directly behind the cooker so to even get a screwdriver in to remove the cover you would have to remove the cooker, not only this you have to be rather small just to get in the cupboard.

some people are right plonkers!

Hanging but supported by cable ties , another store, (same name though) , the DB had been moved of the wall and new slat wall had been fitted , and the DB was pushed up and sat to top of the ceiling tiles , this was the same group of stores , mention no names!!

On a refurb of toilets in a school: I was there for the rip out stage, then went back right at the end of the job. The area where the DB was had been turned into the caretaker's toilet, but there were no obvious signs of it.
I asked the guy who had been there for the whole job - you had to go into the caretaker's toilet, shut the door, put the toilet seat down, stand on the toilet, remove one of the laminated panels above the cistern, and it was behind there.
Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

Best Ive seen was a house that had had a new kitchen fitted, in the corner unit, right at the back, was a small (maybe a foot by a foot) bit cut out of the back plate, still not obvious, but if one crawled into the kitchen cabinet, and shined a torch in the hatch and sideways, one would see a number of KMFs and a couple of off peak boards about 3 feet away on a wall.

completely inaccessable and out of reach.

was doing an EICR so wrote it up and walked off laughing wiping the tears away

Best Ive seen was a house that had had a new kitchen fitted, in the corner unit, right at the back, was a small (maybe a foot by a foot) bit cut out of the back plate, still not obvious, but if one crawled into the kitchen cabinet, and shined a torch in the hatch and sideways, one would see a number of KMFs and a couple of off peak boards about 3 feet away on a wall.

completely inaccessable and out of reach.
was doing an EICR so wrote it up and walked off laughing wiping the tears away

Kitchen fitters are a law to themselves,,

These two were fairly annoying both at the back corner of kitchen cabinets, the one on the right was right beside the sink and you had to remove the fridge to get to it.
CU access.jpg
Another one was behind a sliding drawer in a kitchen and another one had had the kitchen built over it, not too badly but enough so you could not get to the neutral bar, the fixed cupboard came down over it and there was only two inches in front of it, the EICR took a long time!

I'm sure I have seen a pic on the forum before of one fitted inside a shower cubicle, or was it a service head ?

Anyway, a good one I have seen was on a mate's job I helped him on. The CU, fuse, and meters were in an alcove, similar to what you find at the side of a chimney breast. That alcove got a kitchen build in front of it, boarded and plastered, units and worktop put across it.
Easy enough to get to it all though in an emergency. Just empty all the stuff out the cupboard and unscrew the back panel. My mate had to crawl in there to do all the through connections for the CU relocation. He gets into some spaces for a tubby one.

2014-02-07 14.47.44.jpg2014-02-07 14.50.18.jpg2014-02-07 10.12.59.jpg

Reply to Worst place you've seen a fuseboard / consumer unit..?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net