Discuss 120 volts on Instant Pot screws in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My spouse was breaking up pulled pork in the Instant Pot using metal forks while the Instant Pot was plugged into the wall, but not on/heating – the stainless steel pot with the food was in the Instant Pot unit.

While doing so, she got a shock.

I know just enough to be dangerous (literally), so I got out my multimeter, took out the stainless steel pot, unplugged the Instant Pot from the wall, and started by putting my meter on Ohms/continuity and putting one lead inside of the pot and the other on each of the hot and neutral leads. Didn't see anything alarming.

Next, I plugged the Instant Pot in, but pulled the plug out just enough that I could be one of the meter leads on the neutral prong and the other, while on AC voltage, inside of the Instant Pot liner - nothing.

Next, I put the stainless steel pot back inside and now when I touched it with a lead, there was 120 volts. I took the pot out and thought maybe it was because the big button/pressure sensor thingy needed to be pushed in, so I pushed it in with the lead, and still nothing.

Then, I noticed two screws inside of the Instant Pot metal liner, so when I touched one with my lead, there was the 120 volts. Mystery solved... the stainless steel pot – while inside of the Instant Pot liner – is touching those screws.

My question now is: Am I correct in assuming that there should not be 120 volts on those screws/the stainless steel pot when it is in the unit?!
I have found some recall information about some Instant Pot units, however, the Serial Numbers quoted don't appear to match my serial number.

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1_instant-pot.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2_instant-pot.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 10
We hope your partner hasn’t had a serious injury from this. Might be worth mentioning it to a doctor.

The appliance looks fairly new, so is there any warranty period left? No harm in contacting the manufacturer and letting them know there is a problem.

Pulled pork….. yum.

Reply to 120 volts on Instant Pot screws in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net