Discuss 16a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi all, hopefully just a quick one.

Been asked to install a 16a commando socket in commercial premises for table saw.
It will be on a dedicated 20A radial cct.
Although the appliance is rated at 15A, it does state to allow for currents of up to 18A for start-up.
So my question is relating to the commando socket, would a 16A socket be considered suitable, will it handle the 18A short term current?
Or should I be specifying a 32A commando socket?

Opinions please?

16A should be fine. if they've asked for a 16A, it's most likely that the machine comes with a 16A plug fitted. try shoving that in a 32A SOCKET.

just give em what they've asked for. it should be able to cope with the inrush at start up. like has been said, prob comes with a 16a commando plug fitted standard.

will presumably be wired in 2.5mm cable. the 20A breaker is to protect the cable.

probably the best solution as long as the Zs is below 1.44.

20 amp type c and a 16 amp socket is how I would go. I had a customer who bought a table saw that came with a 13 amp plug top. The saw kept blowing the fuse. The customer rang the shop who informed them that they would need to change it to a 16 amp plug and get a 16 amp socket fitted. Total cheek I thought , but, a good wee job for me.

but a different plug wouldnt fit the 16a socket thats been fitted would it ?
;-)

No it wouldn't mate I was being facetious..............you said and I quote............
"i'd be using a 16A type C ".........since when have commando plugs and sockets been type B's or C's :) ?

In my opinion, no one should be installing a 16A socket on a 20A MCB. This means an appliance could draw 20A through a plug and socket that is only rated at 16A! There are no fuses in these plugs like domestic ones don't forget.

In my opinion, no one should be installing a 16A socket on a 20A MCB. This means an appliance could draw 20A through a plug and socket that is only rated at 16A! There are no fuses in these plugs like domestic ones don't forget.

Take a peek at p.160 OSG mate.

which is about EICs. what's that got to do with it?

If the appliance draws more than 16amp it shouldn't have a 16amp plug fitted.

Reply to 16a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net