Discuss 2 Gang UK Socket - Capable of 26Amp or Only 13Amp? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Its common to read in literature and textbook, that providing we use an adequate twin earth rated cable, a UK Double socket is capable of 26Amp, however whenever I browse actual catalogues to buy, all I can find are 13Amp rated.

Example below...

Is this because its implied 13Amp per plug?

In my setup I need to run continuously 25Amps for my bitcoin miner, I intended to run a 2 gang socket via a Radial setup with 4mm twin & earth... as its easier not having to loop back ring circuit.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Double sockets are typically rated at 20A overall, 13A max per socket. If you really do want 2 * 13A as you might in a kitchen with high load appliances then you are better going for two single 13A sockets.

If you have a single load that is 25A then you need something like the 32A 'commando' sockets & plugs (round blue things).

However I seriously doubt that bitcoin mining is a good idea in economics now as the cost of energy is so high and the rewards getting lower.

You are going to be pulling 25A continuously? Have you worked out the cost of that?

No wonder we've got an energy crisis.

As far as I know mk may be capable of 13a per side, but better to check data sheet. With the price of electricity at the minute and what it may rise to soon is bitcoin mining still economical?

As above, 20A per double total although IMO one gets much more trouble from the individual sockets barely handling 13A (partly also due to the plugs) than from the total load exceeding 20A. The only parts carrying the total load are simple metal strips and screw terminals, whereas the heat is mainly generated in the socket contacts and switches which are individual to the two sides. Also as above, best to use two single sockets to supply 2 x 13A.

We used to have background heating for one of our warehouses provided by mining, when returns were higher, ASIC miners were new and ahead of the curve, and electricity was cheaper. By the time I had set a similar system up at home, the economics were less favourable. I don't know how the figures stack up these days at all.

Reply to 2 Gang UK Socket - Capable of 26Amp or Only 13Amp? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net