Discuss 2 jobs for the niciec inspection domestic installer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi peeps,
I have just started working on my own and with a qualified friend.I have recently qualified 4.5 years NVQ3 ,17th am2.I now need to register with the niceic dommestic installer scheme.I have two jobs which i would like to show them . i have some issues which they may pick up on one of the jobs.The first is a full rewire which i have notified LABC.The things he may pick up on are-

• 2 smoke detectors (own circuit fed from rcbo. dual rcd flexi consumer unit) . I have put a smoke on each level less than 7.5m from each doorway. I would usually always fit a heat in the kitchen but the price for this job was very low as i needed the work. as for the kitchen has a door on it so it complys but just wondering if he will pick up on it.
  • The kitchen is very small and the customer did not want fused isolators on top of the work surface to controll applainces as it would look ugly. so I said i would fit sockets on the inside front of the cuboards labelled on the socket front what its controlling (i.e wash machine, dishwasher).Also for the oven(20amp radial) on a dp switch located inside the cuboard. Is this acceptable for the niceic.
  • The property is a small flat . The supply is tns . However there are two sets of tails coming from the supply one feeding this property and one feeding next door on a 100amp fuse. Although this is not part of my install, the earthing on the SWEAT gland of the supply cable is now shared . would you disconnect both earths into an MET then 16mm out to the SWEAT gland or leave sharing as its not my install.I have told the customer to contact the supply company but they havent come out yet.
My second job minor i was thinkin of just going to change some socket fronts from plastic to metal all meets 17th regs. or would this job not be good enough.
Thanks peeps

Smoke detectors are supposed to not be rcd protected, although if your cables are buried in a wall, i guess they would have to be. And if the spacings conform to the minimum required then i dont think he can complain

I cant see anything wrong with your second point, i have done this myself before.

Last point i think if you have contacted the supply company then that should enough for the moment

I would wait and see what someone that knows a bit more about the NIC says though to be honest mate

Hi reguard smokes , spot on with rcbo on own circuit is exactly what they look for even tho i put them on lighting circuit as i think that if the lighting circuit blows u will notice,, as if its just the smokes that blow you might not know.

i argued this point at my last niceic assessment and the guy agreed with me..

i always put isolating spurs in cupboard to isolate single socket behind appliances. hate seeing all the fused spurs above worktop.

as far as smokes go the minimun is 2 smoke one on landing and one in hall so you will be fine..

Reply to 2 jobs for the niciec inspection domestic installer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net