Discuss 3 Core Cable to a 2 terminal Bulb Holder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike_rosie

Hi Folks

As per my previous thread. I plan on making and selling some lamps. I want to have two versions; one with a metal bulb holder and another, cheaper version with a plastic bulb holder.

The issue is that I am using 3 core fabric cable and the plastic bulb holder does not have an earth terminal. What is the correct way of dealing with the spare earth cable? I am aiming to get the lamps tested and certified to BS EN 60598-2-4 and I am wondering if an un-used earth will cause a problem for me?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

A 2 core cable is the most obvious answer .. even cutting the cable back can see it creep and touch live parts with general usage.

Why not just get some 2 core cable?

I had a quick look the other day and it seemed difficult to find 2 core round 6/7mm BS (or similar) certified fabric cable in a selection of colours. I guess the cable was designed for the retro/vintage metal bulb holders and cage movement!

I'll be looking for more in the meantime though, cheers

Obv I dont know your reasoning or requirements but.
Why can you not use a 2 core flat cable as most lamps are?
Or if you need it heat proof use some heat proof shielding that slips over the wires?

Presumably you'll be putting a bit of heatshrink at the end to hold the braiding in place anyway so just snip it off flush and heatshrink it over.

Hi Folks

As per my previous thread. I plan on making and selling some Lights. I want to have two versions; one with a metal Lamp holder and another, cheaper version with a plastic Lamp holder.

The issue is that I am using 3 core fabric cable and the plastic Lamp holder does not have an earth terminal. What is the correct way of dealing with the spare earth cable? I am aiming to get the lamps tested and certified to BS EN 60598-2-4 and I am wondering if an un-used earth will cause a problem for me?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mickey mouse

Good question, a 2 core flex would be the way forward for the class two lamp holder, a 3 core for the class one, it is the way it has been done for the last 50 years, why change a winning formular?

If you use 3 core, I predict that in the future some button pressing 45p-per-item PAT "engineer" will stick a "failed" label on it.

Best to use 2 core.

I presume you are familiar with all of this as a minimum,

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

and

https://www.gov.uk/electrical-equipment-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities

That was my concern. Thanks for the links

The reason I'd have liked to use the 3 core fabric with a 2 terminal holder is to cut down on buying so much different cable and also being able to have the same colours available to customers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 3 Core Cable to a 2 terminal Bulb Holder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net