Discuss 3 live wires to 1 live in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey there, new to this forum and hoping I post this in the correct spot.

Ive been doing some new lighting hookups in the basement, and after I finally finish it all, I decided I want a new fancy lightswitch. Unfortuanly I cant do a smart setup because most require a neutral wire (house is a bit old and of course no switches have said neutral). So I was looking at some decent alternatives and found one i like but.. the picture says it needs 1 live in and 3 live out? Would this mean take my 3 hots, pigtie and have one lead to the in? Or am I missing something
Included pic of my wiring and the one Im looking at

TL;DR
3 live wires, and new switch has 1 live in

Attachments

• 20191223_144910.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 61PDuTTi+XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 20
If the three lights are fed from the same breaker, you could use any one hot, preferably the one from the first light along the circuit, and insulate the other two. This is not the preferred method in the UK but not a violation; check it meets your local code. It would be abnormal to connect all hots together as there would be two feeds in parallel to each of two of the lights, which would be mighty confusing to anyone looking at it in the future.

If the lights are fed from more than one breaker then that control is unsuitable. The hot for each light must come from the same circuit as its neutral, and the hots from different breakers must never connect.

Don't forget to label your white feed to the switch as a hot, at both ends.

Hey there, new to this forum and hoping I post this in the correct spot.

Ive been doing some new lighting hookups in the basement, and after I finally finish it all, I decided I want a new fancy lightswitch. Unfortuanly I cant do a smart setup because most require a neutral wire (house is a bit old and of course no switches have said neutral). So I was looking at some decent alternatives and found one i like but.. the picture says it needs 1 live in and 3 live out? Would this mean take my 3 hots, pigtie and have one lead to the in? Or am I missing something
Included pic of my wiring and the one Im looking at
Ate the three Ls out they are talking about, Switched Ls????????? just a thought, maybe??? could be ??? what do you lot think???

Reply to 3 live wires to 1 live in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net