Discuss 30amp Rated termination blocks (choc blocks) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

blueschill

In my own home I needed to blank a socket that was on a ring and at the consumer unit It had a 32a breaker installed.

When I went to wickes, and also two electrical wholesalers they only sold 30amp electrical connectors (choc blocks) and the next rate up was 60 amp which were huge and would definatly not fit in my single socket housing.
I'm talking about the connectors that you get in a strip with screws in the top and they twist off to the amount required.

When I approached them I asked for 32amp choc blocks and they said they only did them in 30a and the next up were 60a , I explained that I had a 32a breaker and they still recommended the 30a connectors

So I ended up blanking my socket off and using these 30amp blocks to wire my ring circuit together.

Is this common? It seems to be in the shops, and if so why don't they do the blocks rated at 32amps?

oh and also if I am wrong what should I change it to, bearing in mind the 60amp blocks won't fit in my single socket housing.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers.

In my own home I needed to blank a socket that was on a ring and at the consumer unit It had a 32a breaker installed.

When I went to wickes, and also two electrical wholesalers they only sold 30amp electrical connectors (choc blocks) and the next rate up was 60 amp which were huge and would definatly not fit in my single socket housing.
I'm talking about the connectors that you get in a strip with screws in the top and they twist off to the amount required.

When I approached them I asked for 32amp choc blocks and they said they only did them in 30a and the next up were 60a , I explained that I had a 32a breaker and they still recommended the 30a connectors

So I ended up blanking my socket off and using these 30amp blocks to wire my ring circuit together.

Is this common? It seems to be in the shops, and if so why don't they do the blocks rated at 32amps?

oh and also if I am wrong what should I change it to, bearing in mind the 60amp blocks won't fit in my single socket housing.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Line lever connectors or through crimps

30A is fine. screw choc blocks are OK if they're accessible. if you think abour a ring circuit, theoretically there would not be more than 16A down each leg, but as the olads may be unbalanced, and the OCPD will stay in circuit for a percentage overload, it's generally assumed that the max. current in each leg will not be> 20A unless the circuit is in a fault condition, when the current will be considerably higher untill ther OCPD opens. either situation is unlikely to melt your 30A choc block, so have a nice sleep tonight.

I suppose the obvious question here is why are you doing this and are you planning to completely cover the "old" socket area?

Snowhead
If you fully understood how a ring main works you realise you don't need a 32amp

30 amp is fine

blueschill
I understand discrepancy, I just wanted to know if regulations say that it needs to be a 32 rated connection

You did not understand the very correct and polite answer that was given,which also answered the question you then posed

I suppose the obvious question here is why are you doing this and are you planning to completely cover the "old" socket area?

Nah I'm just doing it coz its a socket that's never used, and the faceplate was cracked and chipped, so might as well just blank it.

but cheers telectrix, my cousin has been a spark for 20 years and said it would be fine, but I thought I would ask the question anyway.
because I am led to believe that most commonly a breaker for sockets are 32a so the question was would the latest regulations require the same rated connections used in the circuit.

That does make sense though telectrix thanks :)

Nah I'm just doing it coz its a socket that's never used, and the faceplate was cracked and chipped, so might as well just blank it.

but cheers telectrix, my cousin has been a spark for 20 years and said it would be fine, but I thought I would ask the question anyway.
because I am led to believe that most commonly a breaker for sockets are 32a so the question was would the latest regulations require the same rated connections used in the circuit.

That does make sense though telectrix thanks :)

Wouldn't a new socket make more sense??

Reply to 30amp Rated termination blocks (choc blocks) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net