Discuss 32amp generator socket to 16amp plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a generator for my mobile catering unit. Most I can find in my price range have a 32amp 240v single phase socket. My unit is setup to connect to a 16amp plug into the consumer unit with an RCD. My question is can I use a 32amp to 16amp conversion lead rather than having to change plugs, should I buy a 32amp to 16amp RCBO inline? I assume my RCD will protect my trailer equipment and wiring, my concern here is whether the actual 32amp to 16amp lead would actually overheat at the socket or lead itself? It seems most of these leads dont appear to be fused. And perhaps a daft question if I am able to draw upto 16amps along the lead at the moment without issues then should I not be able to use an extension convertor? tks.

Could you tell me what electrical equipment is installed in your unit please?

It would help me considerably if you could find out the power in Watts(W) or kilo-Watts(kW) of each item.

Reactions: DPG
Could you tell me what electrical equipment is installed in your unit please?

It would help me considerably if you could find out the power in Watts(W) or kilo-Watts(kW) of each item.
IM currently using my equipment on a 16amp socket which has been installed by an electrician, but for remote power if I plug into a generator with a 32amp socket with a converter I assume because the draw doesnt change then it should be okay. max draw is around 4.2 kw if I was to turn everything on at once full power.

If you tell me what equipment and kW I will have a go at estimating the generator power you require? You may not need a generator with 32A socket but another with a 16A one.

thanks, but Ive done
If you tell me what equipment and kW I will have a go at estimating the generator power you require? You may not need a generator with 32A socket but another with a 16A one.
Tks as I said its 4.2kw... if startin geverything up at once... problem is that not many generators that I want which are relatively silent have a 16amp socket .. its either 32amp 13amp or 16amp on a 110 v

It may be that the nature or type of loads you have would theoretically require 4.2kW. However, that would be if they were all indeed started at the same time or they do actual draw individually such power over long periods of time that in amalgam the required power is really 4.2kW. My brother-in-law's use a 3.4kVA Honda gennie with a blue 16A ce form. I am about to start a lecture....

Ok.. one more time....What do you have equipping your mobile catering unit?

It may be that the nature or type of loads you have would theoretically require 4.2kW. However, that would be if they were all indeed started at the same time or they do actual draw individually such power over long periods of time that in amalgam the required power is really 4.2kW. My brother-in-law's use a 3.4kVA Honda gennie with a blue 16A ce form. I am about to start a lecture....

Ok.. one more time....What do you have equipping your mobile catering unit?
tks for the persistence there is no need to worry about the equipment I know the draw and the max power plus its running, a Honda Genie is the best you can buy but also the most expensive..... Ive looked at probably every gennie out there! As said I want to ensure that I have a Generator that can always cope with the max required for safety sake.. I could run the whole thing off a 13 amp but more than likely melt the socket / cabling ...I just want to know if 32amp into a 16amp on a 4.2kw max load is fine..if I could find a genny with a 16amp for my requirements there would have been no need for me to post!

tks for the persistence there is no need to worry about the equipment I know the draw and the max power plus its running, a Honda Genie is the best you can buy but also the most expensive..... Ive looked at probably every gennie out there! As said I want to ensure that I have a Generator that can always cope with the max required for safety sake.. I could run the whole thing off a 13 amp but more than likely melt the socket / cabling ...I just want to know if 32amp into a 16amp on a 4.2kw max load is fine..if I could find a genny with a 16amp for my requirements there would have been no need for me to post!
so my solution ended up getting gas installed to remove some of the power required.. bought a genny with 13amp socket and an adaptor for 16amp draw is max 3kw so all fine.

Reply to 32amp generator socket to 16amp plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock