Discuss 3p motor connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
How would you connect this delta or star it’s got a 3p 400v supply,
Nameplate a bit confusing,I think. EE63329D-B616-4F61-A40F-D79334FB705C.jpeg
EE63329D-B616-4F61-A40F-D79334FB705C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very confusing, I would use star for 400 v based on the right hand diagram, both because of the diagram and because it makes sense (a 230v winding would have 230v if it was delta on 230v and star on 400v, the other way around just doesn't fit), and assume the rating text has the voltages transposed

The high & low bit confusing to me,star is usually low & delta is high,on voltages.
The starters on site are Dol for that motor,not star delta,the links are horizontal,so presume a delta connettion.
[automerge]1586589262[/automerge]
Very confusing, I would use star for 400 v based on the right hand diagram, both because of the diagram and because it makes sense (a 230v winding would have 230v if it was delta on 230v and star on 400v, the other way around just doesn't fit), and assume the rating text has the voltages transposed
It does suggest that,links are horizonta,ie Delta

The high & low bit confusing to me,star is usually low & delta is high,on voltages.
The starters on site are Dol for that motor,not star delta,the links are horizontal,so presume a delta connettion.
[automerge]1586589262[/automerge]

It does suggest that,links are horizonta,ie Delta
Horizontal - as the right hand diagram, or vertical - as the left hand diagram?

Each winding from the name plate suggests they are 220-240v hence it must be connected in star. You cannot use a 400v star/delta starter as you will end up with 400v across the windings in delta. It would have to be rated 400v delta and 690v star to run on a 400v star/delta control.

Agree , got a bit confused on the high & low,Delta 230/400 v
Star 400/690.
The links are already fitted for Delta,which makes it a bit more confusing.
Star is the connection though
[automerge]1586590875[/automerge]
Wierd the star got that voltabe next to it. Y 220/240

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree , got a bit confused on the high & low,Delta 230/400 v
Star 400/690.
The links are already fitted for Delta,which makes it a bit more confusing.
Star is the connection though

I assume from both questions over the two threads, that this is a recently imported machine designed for use in the US, or similar territories.

A 240v three phase supply is normal over there, so the machine and control circuit would be configured for 240v - given its not just a motor - but likely a complete machine set-up it would be best to contact them and get their recommendations on the modifications needed for 400v.

Given the control circuit, this probably needs to be re-configured to use the neutral to ensure only 230v on coils and lamps, or the replacement to 400v versions (or incorporate a 400/230v transformer).

Yea the control will be 230v,I’ve only got limited info @ moment.
Sounds spot on about the motor, can it still be connected on the high V Star 3p.
Will also contact manufacturer,before connecttion

Yea the control will be 230v,I’ve only got limited info @ moment.
Sounds spot on about the motor, can it still be connected on the high V Star 3p.
Will also contact manufacturer,before connecttion

As far as the motor is concerned, yes a star connection should be correct for direct connection to 400v.

My concern is about the control circuits, the switches, lamps etc may only be rated for 240v - I assume the limit switches etc are well hidden within the equipment.

As far as the motor is concerned, yes a star connection should be correct for direct connection to 400v.

My concern is about the control circuits, the switches, lamps etc may only be rated for 240v - I assume the limit switches etc are well hidden within the equipment.
Thanks, the control system is 230v, there are lamps on the circuit.
To be honest I would rather had the cc @ 24 v, but all equipment supplied by others.
Its a put together scenario,the limit switches are proximity & require. 230 supply & rated @ 230v.

You need to check where the 230v control circuit is derived from as you are applying 400v so you may inadvertently put 400v to it.

if the links are horizontal, W2-U2-V2, that indicates 400V connected in star config. which is what you'd expect from a dual voltage motor.

then it must be configured fro 230 3 phase. i had to replace 2 such motors on a farm grain conveyor as a result of the installer wiring them in delta.

US-built motors for the domestic market can ship pre-configured for 230V in delta. This is an export 50Hz version but they might well not have followed through with linking it in star for 400V. They possibly fit the same terminal block in all units with the links pre-mounted to save time, knowing that wherever they put the links some users are going to have to change them.

It does look simply like they printed the ratings one line too low on the plate. There are three rows for voltage / current options and the format of the printing suggests a mismatch between the blank label layout and the data entered for printing.

Reply to 3p motor connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net