Discuss 3ph fused switched disconnectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help me out with this please;

when you get a 3ph fused disconnecter (60947-3) either fused or thermal trip, if the device is rated at say 160A does this mean it takes a total of 160A over the 3 phases or each stand alone phase can take 160A therefore allowing the device to potentially take ~480A through it?

thanks in advance

Hi

when you get a 3ph fused disconnecter (60947-3) either fused or thermal trip, if the device is rated at say 160A does this mean it takes a total of 160A over the 3 phases or each stand alone phase can take 160A therefore allowing the device to potentially take ~480A through it?

thanks in advance

60947-3 are usually un fused isolators unless you have another fuse or MCCB elsewhere.
You mean 60947-2 and this is a basic question really always per phase but we all gotta learn some how better ask and learn than guess and get it wrong.

Hi

thanks in advance

Be honest,
If you don’t know the answers to you’re questions, should you be working on such equipment?

Is this a homework question?

Hi

thanks in advance

In addition to the replys above:

Bear in mind (for future ref) the device will never be carrying 480A (3x160) at any time - have another look at 3 phase theory (you hopefully covered it in college?)

Regards

In addition to the replys above:

Bear in mind (for future ref) the device will never be carrying 480A (3x160) at any time - have another look at 3 phase theory (you hopefully covered it in college?)

Regards

Think better wording is needed here ... the accumulative available current is 480A over 3phase but there is no reason why the current demand can't be up to 160amp per phase, phase angle theory isn't really applicable for this thread and will only serve to confuse.

Think better wording is needed here ... the accumulative available current is 480A over 3phase but there is no reason why the current demand can't be up to 160amp per phase, phase angle theory isn't really applicable for this thread and will only serve to confuse.

Better wording I'll grant you (think I spelt 'replies' wrong lol) - but considering this guy is working on 3 phase installations, I was surprised that one of his concerns was that his device would be required to carry 480A if 160A per phase - Confusing? this is 236 pt 2 stuff.

Reply to 3ph fused switched disconnectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net