Discuss 4g mobile phone network rumoured very likely to severely affect freeview tv receptio in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I read a few Days ago that the 4G Mobile Phone Network `Second Phase` of Transmitter installations / Upgrades is VERY likely to cause SOME areas severe problems with Freeview Reception - `Totally Blacking Out` some areas !

I noticed that one of the areas likely to be MOST affected is MY area - from the Crystal Palace [SE London] Transmitter !

I have already had BIG Problems with Freeview reception since the SECOND DAY of the Digital Switchover in My area - I had almost perfect Freeview reception on ALL of the Freeview enabled TV`s in My Home for YEARS before that DAY - ever since at the slightest hint of any `Bad Weather` I have problems with the Freeview reception - the ITV Channels - Channel 4 - Channel 5 and many more Channels become completely Unwatchable.

I read in another Newspaper article that there will be `Filters` available for approximately £20.00 which I assume means that they are designed to `Block` the 4G Signals [?].

But although I am NOT at all knowledgeable about Mobile Phone Transmissions and their affect on Digital TV Signals / Reception - I just cannot believe that something that is sold for £20.00 approx. could be Technically Advanced enough to Block a particular Transmission Frequency / Signal - ?

EDIT - I HAVE NOW READ THAT THESE `FILTERS` COULD COST OVER £200.00 - THIS SEEMS TO BE REFERRING TO EQUIPMENT THAT WOULD REQUIRE A TV `ENGINEER` TO INSTALL - !

Newspaper Article from the Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...v-7899834.html

I wondered if any Members were knowledgeable about this matter - I believe that this 4G `Second Phase` is due to be started in early 2013 - I would like to at least know what I would have to purchase to `Try` when this ominous / possible `Black Out` of my TV`s Freeview Reception occurs.

Although I have Sky in some rooms We still want to be able to Receive and View Freeview in other rooms of My Home - without paying to install FreeSat.

I cannot believe that there has not been more publicity about this - I assume that the Government have made so much Money out of Licensing the `4G Network Frequency / Signal Band` that they could not care less about a few Million [?] Freeview TV Viewers [articles quote `2 to 3 Million Households`] - !

EDIT:

I have just found this quote on the 4G Britain website - FAQ`s section:

http://www.4gbritain.org/faq/

QUOTE:

Will 4G interfere with my Freeview reception?

News reports have suggested that 4G mobile services may affect Freeview reception. The fact is 4G technology does not in itself affect Freeview or other television reception.

However, the future use of airwaves in the 800MHz band that is being transitioned from TV broadcast to mobile services presents the potential for Freeview services to be affected.

This is because current TV receivers or Freeview boxes are designed to receive airwaves which have previously been used by TV.

Any impact to services will only happen in certain geographical areas, but we cannot yet predict where. This may occur from 2013.

Fortunately, there are fixes for any problems for TV viewers and in most cases these fixes are very simple and free.

The media and communications industry regulator, Ofcom and the government are proposing that a new organisation will be set up to inform and assist affected consumers on how to restore TV services and they have also pledged funding for this.

4G will be delivered cross other airwaves too, such as 900 MHz, 1800MHz or 2.6 GHz, and this will not disrupt Freeview services.

END QUOTE

This does NOT tell people WHAT these `Fixes` are - when are we to find out ?

I don`t want to `Wait and see` IF My Freeview TV will be `Blacked Out` and then try and find out what I can `Order` [alomg with perhaps Millions of other Households !] and then have to wait for a Delivery !

What particularly annoys Me is that Freeview / Digital Television Broadcast was rolled out obviously knowing
that this 4G Use of the same Frequencies that Freeview Receivers can pick up would affect possibly Millions of Households.

And the fact that where they do pick up 4G Transmissions / Signals this can severely disrupt / Block Out the Freeview TV Reception !

The Revenue for the 4G Licences obviously came first.

Regards,

Chris​

Last edited:
Re: 4g mobile phone network rumoured very likely to severely affect freeview tv rece

This is exactly what I am suggesting a professional will do. By selecting an aerial most suitable for the location you are attenuating the bad but not affecting the good.
2.5mm t&e as an aerial does open up other possibilities. Are your downleads terminated into a wallplate? Have you used screened coax plugs? Any fly leads not made from ct100)? Either would be a weakness. I have cured a few problems of pre imaging (in the analogue days but have not experienced it being a problem since switchover) where a signal is being collected after the aerial through the cable or even by the tv chassis. Screening is the only answer.
Whichever is the cause I am as convinced as I can be that you are now picking up high powered reflections, maybe not at the aerial, maybe not just at the aerial. This has to be approached logically and requires knowledge of what the problem is and where in the system it is occuring
which can only be ascertained with the use of a decent meter.
The fact that you had perfect reception is irrelevant to what is happening now, bit like going to a central heating problem and the customer saying it was working fine yesterday. The cause is that something has changed. I think that the increase in power has made previously untroublesome reflections a real issue with the rain or snow increasing the reflective properties of whatever is causing the reflection(s).
One simple thing that you could try (without the aid of the professional!!!) is to set an aerial off the horizontal plane, elevate the tip a bit, 15-20 degrees or so or maybe even a little bit more as you have such strong signal. Most aerials can be adjusted in this manner without affecting alignment. Compare this to the other unaltered aerials in wet weather, it may help.
Mike

"Hello Mike",

Thanks for the further information and advice.

However I cannot really agree with your analogy about a Central Heating system fault - something would have malfunctioned or possibly air locked / blocked up to cause the fault - which I would be able to find.

Nothing has changed / malfunctioned on my Home`s TV receiving systems / equipment - the ONLY thing that has changed is the Freeview / Digital TV transmission signal !

I do of course agree with You that something is causing my Freeview reception problems - as I mentioned previously there have been no Buildings erected nearby - no extra Tree growth in line with the Aerials - not even any different Roofing materials fitted to any nearby Roofs.

When I keep mentioning that the Freeview reception was excellent prior to the London area Digital TV Switchover and that nothing about my Home`s Aerials or the surrounding area has changed it is because the reception problem started as if a Switch had been turned On which messed up the reception - which I suppose loosely described did happen with the Digital TV Switchover.

I am NOT doubting anything that you have suggested Mike although I am surprised that 3 different Aerials could all be affected by Reflection - these 3 Aerials are quite a long distance apart physically - although I expect that you might say that this would mean nothing in terms of Reflection interference ?

I kept thinking of Years gone by when I had a TV which had only an Indoor Aerial - turning it even slightly would often improve the reception - I did try having the Roof Aerials turned around slightly in each direction when the Freeview reception problems started - we had to return them to their original positions - but We did not think to Tilt the Aerials at all.

The Aerial cables are run in CT 100 specification Double Insulated Co-Axial cable - all the way from the Aerial to the TV`s / Freeview Boxes - there are no wallplates - where there are Fly leads from a Freeview box to the TV these are also made up from CT 100 Co-Axial cable [I did not use the leads supplied with the Freeview boxes] - I am fairly sure that the Co-Axial Plugs are screened and amongst the best quality that you can buy - because I was advised on what to purchase at the time by an Electronics Engineer and I remember the Cable and the co-ax plugs being `reassuringly expensive`.

Regarding the attenuators - the ones that I have are 0 - 20Db - when adjusting one down seemed to be doing nothing I then connected 2 in series to the Aerial cables using small fly leads made up with CT 100 cable and good quality F plugs and a couple of F plug to Co-Ax adapters - having adjusted both down I could still see no difference when I was looking at the Signal strength and Signal Quality displays on the Freeview boxes that I have connected to 2 of the older Bedroom TV`s.

Because my Home`s Aerials and Aerial cables were all in good condition [only 3 Years old at the time] and the Aerials had not moved out of alignment - and there was nothing wrong with any of the TV`s or Freeview boxes - it had to be the NEW Transmitter Signal as far as I was concerned !

BUT the new Digital Switchover was supposed to improve the TV reception !

When there is some suitable weather - [if I still have a Roof after Sunday night / Monday !] I will call on some Friends who are Roofers to help Me to do what You suggested regarding elevating one of the Aerials - I will look at about 20 degrees first and also try 25 degrees - If this does not immediately affect the reception in an adverse way I will leave it like that for a couple of Weeks - I know that We will be getting at least some Rain in November / December - if not some Snow which I read recently will be coming in late November.

If this does not indicate that these adjustments are enabling the Aerial to receive a better quality signal / TV reception I will seriously think about configuring and erecting the Array of 2 Aerials that You suggested - although that would not be until next Spring at the earliest.

By the way Mike I am not averse to using the services of a Professional - as I would be extolling the benefits of people using a Professional Heating Engineer like myself it would be very hypocritical of Me to then NOT want to use other Professionals - but from what I have heard / read / seen on TV documentaries the Aerial Installation Industry has been tarnished with a very bad reputation by the `Rip Off Merchants` / Cowboys.

Of course My Industries of Heating - Plumbing and Gas also sufferers widely from the Cowboys and is notorious for the Rip Off Merchants - but this only makes Me more wary of getting a Cowboy in ALL other Industries !

Thanks very much for all of the time that You have taken to inform and advise Me on this Mike - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. I hope that You don`t get any damage to your Home or property from the `Super Storm` that is coming our way on Sunday night / Monday.

Last edited:
Re: 4g mobile phone network rumoured very likely to severely affect freeview tv rece

Tilting the aerials is the advice we were first given as digital was starting. The idea was to lessen the background noise received from buildings / hillsides etc and also to lessen impulse noise from vehicle electrical systems /lawnmowers etc. If you are able to receive off a bit of t&e inside, tilting your aerial should have no adverse effect at all.
Pockets of interference are not at all unusual, in fact some of us are grateful as that is where we can make our money over window cleaners turned aerial installers!
Can you bring one of these aerials inside the roofspace where it could be less prone to external influences? Have you any foil backed insulation near the aerials? Could you try one of these V20A2 - VISION - AERIAL LOG PREIODIC GROUP A | CPC in your roofspace (tilted, and then maybe coupled to your attenuators)? As a side issue I use Maplins as a showroom and then order from cpc! Most importantly, could you borrow a meter with measurement functions?
I think you may need to look at this from a different perspective. Don't get hung up on signal strength displays, it is the quality you are concerned with. However I am staggered that with 40dB of attenuation these do not change. Do your tv's work (or attempt to work) with the aerial unplugged (in good weather)? Do they work if the aerial is disconnected outside leaving just the downlead acting as an aerial? Could you try a length (3-10'ish) of ct100 with a co-ax plug on one end connected to the tv and see if you get reception, if you don't then pass it out of a window to try?
We should be ok with the storm if it follows predictions, SW veering WNW. If it veers to NW we are pretty vulnerable but as we are on neap tides even this shouldn't be too bad. My youngest, a Western Power linesman, is looking forward to it - Sunday storms are double time storms and he gets paid for sleeping the next day if out all night!

Tilting the aerials is the advice we were first given as digital was starting. The idea was to lessen the background noise received from buildings / hillsides etc and also to lessen impulse noise from vehicle electrical systems /lawnmowers etc. If you are able to receive off a bit of t&e inside, tilting your aerial should have no adverse effect at all.
Pockets of interference are not at all unusual, in fact some of us are grateful as that is where we can make our money over window cleaners turned aerial installers!
Can you bring one of these aerials inside the roofspace where it could be less prone to external influences? Have you any foil backed insulation near the aerials? Could you try one of these V20A2 - VISION - AERIAL LOG PREIODIC GROUP A | CPC in your roofspace (tilted, and then maybe coupled to your attenuators)? As a side issue I use Maplins as a showroom and then order from cpc! Most importantly, could you borrow a meter with measurement functions?
I think you may need to look at this from a different perspective. Don't get hung up on signal strength displays, it is the quality you are concerned with. However I am staggered that with 40dB of attenuation these do not change. Do your tv's work (or attempt to work) with the aerial unplugged (in good weather)? Do they work if the aerial is disconnected outside leaving just the downlead acting as an aerial? Could you try a length (3-10'ish) of ct100 with a co-ax plug on one end connected to the tv and see if you get reception, if you don't then pass it out of a window to try?
We should be ok with the storm if it follows predictions, SW veering WNW. If it veers to NW we are pretty vulnerable but as we are on neap tides even this shouldn't be too bad. My youngest, a Western Power linesman, is looking forward to it - Sunday storms are double time storms and he gets paid for sleeping the next day if out all night!

"Hello again Mike",

Thanks again for taking the time to give Me some further information and suggestions.

With regard to trying a length of CT 100 Aerial cable as an Aerial I have done this in the past.

This was a suggestion from the Electronics Engineer who then went on to suggest that I try a length of insulated Electrical wire - I then stripped out about a 2 Metre length of one core from a 2.5 T&E cable.

The length of CT 100 cable worked just as well indoors and out of the windows as the the Roof Aerials - the 2.5 single core Electrical wire also worked just as well indoors as the Roof Aerials - various Indoor Aerials worked just as well as the Roof Aerials - But the TV`s would not show a picture without anything plugged into the Aerial sockets.

I am sure that the Roof Aerial cables would pick up a signal for the TV`s if disconnected from the Aerials - but would still be getting the interference - I am guessing that this would still happen because the interference still happens during Rainfall / bad weather with even an Indoor Aerial.

I had previously wondered whether there could be the situation where the Roof Aerials were getting interference from somewhere - irrespective of the strong transmitter signal - But that the Indoor Aerials were not picking up a strong enough signal during Rainfall / bad Weather and that the TV reception was breaking up because of that - possibly 2 different causes regarding the Roof Aerials versus the Indoor Aerials ?

When I found out that some of My Neighbours were getting good Freeview / Digital TV reception using inexpensive Indoor Aerials I tried using some similar Indoor Aerials - but I still got the disrupted signals during Rainfall / bad Weather.

One of My Neighbours has an Amplified Indoor Aerial which He bought from Argos about 3 Years ago - thinking that He would possibly need an Amplified signal after the Digital TV Switchover - this Aerial gives excellent reception only when the Amplification [Attenuator ?] is turned down so that the indicator light goes Off - even the slightest movement of the dial / Amplification causes the TV`s reception to go completely - obviously this is because the Crystal Palace Transmitter signal is so strong that ANY Amplification causes the signal to be too strong for the TV`s tuner [Guess].

Although it is now not needed He cannot have a Roof Aerial because He has a Roof where replacement [100 Year old half round clay] Tiles cannot be obtained He cannot take the risk of having a Roof Aerial installed - even with Roof ladders there is obviously the chance that a Tile will be broken.

Regarding your comment about the Signal strength indicators on the Freeview boxes - I did mention in My previous message that the attenuators did not seem to be doing anything when I was looking at the Signal strength and Signal Quality indicators.

I think that I am correct in thinking that sometimes in a High Signal strength area lowering the Signal strength can raise the Signal Quality ? I thought that this would be why I would be trying to use the attenuators ?

Thanks for suggesting trying an Aerial in a Roof space and also trying this with the attenuators connected to the Aerial cable - I can do this for the main House Roof space where there is access into the Loft - I will buy one of the Group A Aerials that You very kindly mentioned and make up a long Aerial cable using the CT 100 Aerial cable and good / screened Co-Ax Plugs.

I will try it in the Horizontal position - various Tilted positions around the 15 to 25 % Tilts that You mentioned - and with the attenuators.

However this is something that I cannot do without some preperation as I have a completely Insulated Roof space - to a depth of about 500mm of Insulation - cross layed above the Ceiling Joists - as You know it is extremely dangerous to try moving about in such a Roof space without at least making some form of temporary platform - I really would have to lift up all of the Insulation above the Ceiling Joists to be able to walk across them to where I needed to mount the Loft Aerial and then relay the Insulation.

JUST A NOTE FOR OTHER READERS OF THIS REGARDING LAYING BOARDS ACROSS LOFT INSULATION TO ACCESS AN INSULATED ROOF SPACE:

It is always a mistake to put Boards across thick layers of Loft Insulation - the Insulating properties of the Insulation relies to a great extent on the Thickness / Air content of the Insulation - squashing it down obviously lessens the Air content and alters the density - rendering the Insulation value much less than the original thickness was - it is NOT usually successful to `Plump Up` Loft Insulation to its original density / air content after having boards laid across it.

As I would need to tempoarily have the Aerial cable hanging out of the Loft hatch with it wedged slightly open this might not be the best time of Year to try this - I am sure that You will know at how much Heat from a Home would escape through even just something like a 12mm x 600mm gap into a cold Roof space.

Unfortunately for the purpose of installing a Loft Aerial on a permanent basis My Home`s Loft hatch is a long distance from where I could mount the Loft Aerial and even further from where the Aerial cable would have to exit the Loft to be adjacent to the Main Bedroom - I would have to lift / roll up a lot of Insulation from one end of the Loft to the other - quite a Job - then I would have to take up quite a lot of Floorboards / Drill Joists etc. in a Hallway and the Main Bedroom - moving almost everything in the Bedroom to get the Aerial cable to the TV - quite a lot of disruption.

I am NOT trying to `find obstacles` to following your excellent advice Mike - I just wanted to explain why the Loft Aerial trial will not be something that I can comtemplate doing in the immediate future - But I will try it as it would be good to be able to solve the disrupted reception problem during Rainfall / bad Weather for at least my Main Bedroom TV - which is where I watch most of the TV that I view anyway.

I will find this thread again probably in the Spring of next Year when lifting up the Roof Insulation would be more appropriate and I will post My `Findings` to your Loft Aerial suggestion / the `Tests` with the Tilting and attenuators then.

Please don`t be frustrated that I don`t follow your suggestions immediately Mike - I know that it might seem like I am not interested in `Fixing` the Reception / Interference problems which will obviously be even more frequent in Autumn and Winter time.

But You will see from the Date of the original thread I have had to live with this problem fror quite a long time now and I have to weigh up the disruption to the TV reception with the disruption to the Loft Insulation / Heat loss through the wedged open Loft hatch [for a couple of Weeks] - temporary Aerial cable trailing through the House etc

Thanks again for your Help - the detailed Information and excellent advice Mike - I really appreciate being able to correspond with an Expert like You regarding the Reception problems on My TV`s / Aerials.

I was glad to read that your Home / Area was not likely to be badly affected by the Forcasted High Winds / Heavy Rainfall combination.

Where I live in London We had nothing like the High Winds that I was expecting - I can remember many ocassions where the Winds have been much stronger - but obviously I am glad that this was the case.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

The aerial receives a signal traveling from the transmitter at the speed of light. Once collected the signal is slowed by having to travel down the cable (it is no longer traveling through free air), however the cable is picking up signal that is traveling through free air and this unwanted signal is arriving at the tuner before the wanted signal. In the analogue days this was pre-imaging, the opposite of ghosting which is time delayed images. It could very easily be the case that with the increased power and with the reflective effect during rain / snow that the cable is picking up multiple (reflected) signals that are now sufficient to drown out the wanted signal as far as the tuner is concerned. One signal (interference) measurement at the aerial (during rain) followed by one at the tv would confirm this and may well point you in the right direction. The answer would be to alter the cable route to achieve screening by your building, use triple screened cable (relatively new) or screen the existing route.
If the problem is downstream of the aerial then alterations to the aerial will have no or little effect. Of course it could be a combination of a number of problems. With a decent meter such problems can be identified relatively easily.
Have sent a pm

Should have said that it is also quite possible that the tv chassis itself is receiving this interference and would require screening.
Lowering signal levels in high strength areas would not improve quality, however it may make the difference between presenting too high a level of signal to the tuner to presenting a level that the tuner can better work with.
I am far from an expert, just old and have encountered a few things in my time and I like to try to understand what I am dealing with!
Slept right through the storm! Weather data showed us getting away very lightly but only a few miles away people really suffered - my youngest spent all day in Exeter as they had many people off supply, only 40 miles or so away.

The aerial receives a signal traveling from the transmitter at the speed of light. Once collected the signal is slowed by having to travel down the cable (it is no longer traveling through free air), however the cable is picking up signal that is traveling through free air and this unwanted signal is arriving at the tuner before the wanted signal. In the analogue days this was pre-imaging, the opposite of ghosting which is time delayed images. It could very easily be the case that with the increased power and with the reflective effect during rain / snow that the cable is picking up multiple (reflected) signals that are now sufficient to drown out the wanted signal as far as the tuner is concerned. One signal (interference) measurement at the aerial (during rain) followed by one at the tv would confirm this and may well point you in the right direction. The answer would be to alter the cable route to achieve screening by your building, use triple screened cable (relatively new) or screen the existing route.
If the problem is downstream of the aerial then alterations to the aerial will have no or little effect. Of course it could be a combination of a number of problems. With a decent meter such problems can be identified relatively easily.
Have sent a pm
"Hello Mike",

Thanks very much for your reply and for your PM.

As if I did not have enough problems with the Freeview / Digital TV - Now I am getting really bad `interference` on MOST of my Home`s TV`s - which I THINK is coming from the 4G Mobile phone network.

I think that it is from 4G because when I plug in one of the 4G Filters that I purchased in advance of this possibly happening it stops the `interference`. I am guessing that there should NOT be any other source of interference that these Filters prevent [?] - as the TV channel `Bands` / Ranges for Digital TV are supposed to be dedicated for only TV - with the exception now of 4G - and the 5G etc. interference that You mentioned in one of your very informative messages to Me - ?

I have noted that this interference seems to `only` affect: ITV1 - CH4 - CH5 - ITV2 - CH4+1 - MORE4 - FILM4 - E4 and ITV1+1 - would I be correct in assuming that these channels are all part of One `Range / Block` of channels on Digital TV ?

I also noted that ITV3 - ITV3+1 - ITV4 - CH5+1 and FILM4+1 were not affected by this interference - But I am guessing that they are on a different `Block` of Channels that are transmitted - ?

This interference causes the affected Channels to become completely unwatchable - total loss of picture or really bad `Blocking` and totally disrupted Sound - but this is NOT happening on every TV / Freeview Box in the House - there is ONE TV where the reception is not disrupted - although the channels that I mention below are disrupted on a Freeview DVR that is connected to that TV and to the same Aerial !

Before I tried fitting the 4G Filter to my Bedroom TV`s Aerial cable / TV Co-Ax connection I went into the Self Diagnosis menu on my TV - under Signal Information I saw that the Signal Strength on the affected channels had reduced to between 30 and 40 out of 100 [Max.] - usually at least 85+ - BUT that there was a `Bit Error` display scale - this was showing 9 to 10 out of 10 in RED ! - this is obviously very significant regarding the Signal that was being received by these disrupted channels although I did not get an explanation from the TV Manufacturer Technical Support on what exactly this `Bit Error` meant.

I tried speaking to the TV Manufacturers Technical Helpline although I was fairly sure that this was an external problem I wanted to discuss this with them just in case - at that time I had [stupidly] only checked the Living Room TV Freeview reception - not the other Bedroom TV`s / Freeview boxes - the Living Room TV was O.K. - so I thought it MIGHT have been a problem with the Bedroom TV at that point.

They suggested trying an Automatic Retune - I stated that I thought that this would not `find` the Channels that were being severely disrupted - I was correct - all of the Channels that had bad interference were `Gone`!

I managed to put them back into their locations onto the TV by running a CT 100 extension lead from the Bedroom TV to the Aerial cable on the Living Room TV and the doing an Automatic Retune on the Bedroom TV - but the channels that I identified above were still severely disrupted.

I then tried fitting one of the 4G Filters which immediately removed this recent interference.

I then checked my other TV`s - with the exception of the Living Room TV these were also badly disrupted by the interference - I tried the 4G Filter in each case - it stopped the interference to the Freeview boxes / TV`s.

I then found that although there was no interference on the Living Room TV there was bad interference on the Freeview DVR that is connected to it / the same Aerial ! - a 4G Filter would NOT stop this on the DVR - obviously I am surprised about that as they seem to have worked on every other Freeview box / TV.

I have been experiencing the other interference to my Home`s TV`s since well before any possibility of 4G interference so I know that it is not related to the present Signal disruption and that it is unlikely that these 4G Filters will improve the situation of disruption during Rainfall / Snow etc.

I cannot wait to see if there is even MORE interference to my Home`s TV`s during Rainfall / Snow etc. - possibly exacerbated by the new 4G Network interference IF there is any `Bypassing` of the 4G Filters as well as the existing interference problems - ?

Anyway I thought that I would tell You about the latest `Fun` that I have been having trying to just get back to the Great TV reception on Freeview / Digital TV that We enjoyed for about 3 Years prior to the London Area Digital TV Switchover ! [Sorry for mentioning that again]

Thanks again for all of your Help - Information and Advice Mike - I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

"Hello All",

I am afraid that I spoke / wrote too soon when I stated that the 4G Filters stopped the interference that I thought was from the new 4G Mobile phone Network transmissions / Mast Transmissions [?].

Tonight at about 18:30 Hours [6:30pm] I saw that my Bedroom TV Freeview / Digital TV reception was badly disrupted again - this seemed to be in `Bursts` / brief periods of time and the interference totally disrupts the Screen / Picture and Sound - it is sometimes disrupting the picture so badly that the Colours merge into what looks like a Modern Art `Blur of Colour` - [a `Blur` is what it is].

This happened three more times between then and 21:00 Hours [9pm] - as I have only 2 of the 4G Filters I could only check my Bedroom TV where I did not want to keep unplugging the Filter and use the other Filter to check 2 other Freeview boxes / TV`s - when the disruption was happening it happened on all 3 of these TV`s / Freeview boxes.

As I mentioned in my previous message the Living Room TV was not affected by this interference - I did not have time to check the Freeview DVR which is connected to that TV.

This seems to be so intermittent that I cannot imagine ever being able to arrange to get the Signal Tested professionally at the exact time when this occurs again in the future - I had a Family member checking the previously affected Channels all during Today while they were at Home watching TV - there was no disruption / interference during the Daytime today.

I will obviously check whether there does seem to be any pattern / repetition at certain times - perhaps in the early Evening as happened Tonight.

If I remove the 4G Filters the channels that I listed above which were severely disrupted have no reception at all - so the Filters are achieving something - but seem to be being `overwhelmed` by some type of interference at times.

I really cannot believe My `Bad Luck` regarding the Freeview / Digital TV reception / interference on my TV`s !

It seems something has not only changed on Day 2 of the London area Digital TV Switchover [coincidence ?] lin April 2012 which ruins the Freeview reception on my Home`s TV`s during Rainfall / Snow - BUT - NOW I have severe Signal disruption intermittently - which I thought was being caused by the new 4G Mobile phone Network transmissions [newly commissioned 4G mast ?] - IF this IS the case the 4G Filters that I mentioned having purchased in advance of the possibility of a 4G Network problem have not worked 100%.

I wanted to `Update` my earlier comment that the 4G Filters had immediately removed the interference - they did when I plugged them into the Aerial / TV Co-Ax socket - but later Today / this Evening the disrupted Signal started happening again in `Bursts` / short periods.

I realise that these 4G Filters probably work perfectly to Filter out the 4G Network transmissions - I wonder if I am experiencing some other type of TV Signal disruption ?

Obviously I know that this cannot be answered on any Forum - Professional Tests will have to be carried out - BUT - I obviously cannot know when this interference will exhibit again !

I will be trying to monitor the situation on my TV`s - slightly awkward without a 4G Filter for each TV / Freeview box - but I don`t really want to be buying 3 more at £14.99 each [there are £7.99 ones available at Maplin] only to find out that it is NOT the 4G Network transmissions causing the problems and be left with about £65.00 worth of 4G Filters that I may NEVER need [?].

Regards,

Chris

Reply to 4g mobile phone network rumoured very likely to severely affect freeview tv receptio in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock