Discuss A question about 16 mm meter tails. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am adding a single socket spurring off from the downstairs ring as a minor work for my assessment. The tails from the main fuse to the meter and again from the meter to the Henley block are 16 mm. A pair of 25 mm tails then connects to another Henley from which 16 mm tails feed the main CU with a single RCD and a small one for the loft circuits. Sorry I did not make a note of the main fuse rating.

Would the assessor raise any question about the main tails being 16 mm during assessment?

Cheers!

30062011013.jpg 30062011015.jpg

He might make mention of it but as you've assessed maximum demand to be around 60 Amps based on connected load and usage, you've answered his questions!

You did assess it didn't you? ;)

He might make mention of it but as you've assessed maximum demand to be around 60 Amps based on connected load and usage, you've answered his questions!

You did assess it didn't you? ;)
Can I calculate the load & demand for the currently connected appliances or how else? There are around 20 x 13 amps double and 15 lamp sockets. Thanks

The answer to this question is in the On Site Guide. In my last assessment I was asked to show the calculations for how I was confident the supply was satisfactory for the expected demand. The assessor had spotted that things were marginal. Luckily I had a nice spreadsheet ready to go! He also asked me to show that the RCD is correctly rated for the expected demand of the circuits it is protecting.

looking at those tails, i would be wary of letting an assessor anywhere near the job. even if i'd only fitted an extra socket. i'd either get them sorted or use another site for assessment.

looking at those tails, i would be wary of letting an assessor anywhere near the job. even if i'd only fitted an extra socket. i'd either get them sorted or use another site for assessment.

You're right, I didn't even see the picture!

For what cost is involved compared to a revisit or whatever, I'd change them and neaten it up, even a few clips on the DNO stuff won't do any harm.....

that situation is a good argument for cutting seals on cut-out and meter, then getting DNO or supplier to come out and re-seal. (now await response from netblind paul)

Reply to A question about 16 mm meter tails. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net