Discuss Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok so would I be right in saying that as well as doing

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers
City & Guilds 2382-10 Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installation (17th Edition)
City & Guilds 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in the Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
City & Guilds 2391-10 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2377-12 Level 3 Certificate for the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

I would also need to do the

2330 AND NVQ3 2356 or just one??

thanks Besim10 for your help :)

To be a qualified electrician you will need both

ok so what you guys are saying is to work in the industry as an "electrician" you need C&G 2330??

what do you need to do this ?

I'm currently on the access to trade careers "professional" electrician and now a bit annoyed to find out about this C&G 2330 not being on my course.

could I do the 2330 while still doing my access course? And if so when would be the best time to do this during the course, or after??

any help would be very much appreciated, im still kinda confused as to what i need to have in the industry; from what i understand the access course is kinda skipping a step by not having the 2330? confused :S lol

any help would be much appreciated :)

Also would like to know what exams etc are in the first week :) if any one can tell me :)

Doug, you don't "need" the 2330 to work in the industry as an electrician. I have spoken to NICEIC and they have said that I will be able to work legally under their scheme provided I have my 17th edition and have work that they can inspect. The most important thing seems to be experience and the 2330 does give a certain amount of that, but there are other ways! As far as I know you need your 2330 and 2356 to be on the JIB scheme but this isn't fundamental to you working as an electrician. Please somebody correct me if i'm wrong!?

You are correct.
The 2356 is a Log book based on onsite assessments so if you are not already working in the areas needed to be assessed in order to achieve the NVQ then you are not going to get it.

Hi,

No disrespect to anyone with my following comments - just want to get things into perspective.

You don't need anything to work legally as an electrician - the requirement is COMPETENCE.

What the 2330 gives you, that a three week 'wonder course' doesn't, is the fundemental basics and theory, along with practical work, to help you on the way to being COMPETENT.

You can take all the shortcuts that you like into this trade but, at the end of the day, it's you that has to be happy with your competence to do the work that you undertake and you that will be asked to prove that competence when the fire engines have been to a job that you did and you're up in court (god forbid!)

If you're happy calling yourself a domestic electrician after 3 weeks training, thats fine.

I've done the 2330 level2, 17th edition, I've took my 2391 and I'm half way through my 2330 level3 - I still wouldn't call myself an electrician (domestic or otherwise)

When I am completely happy with my competence I am going self employed - and not before. I still have a lot to learn.

The 'domestic electricians' reading this might be interested in a question we were given in college today - it might give a good idea of the difference in understanding dealt with in the two courses.

This is a 2330 level 3 question - it threw me for a while until I got my head around it:)

Mrs Jones wants a new cooker circuit installing for her 6 KW cooker.
The supply is 230v 50 hz. The ambient temperature is 35 degrees and protection is by a BS3036 fuse.
The cable is 70 degree thermoplastic pvc/pvc T&E, and is to be installed in earthed metalic conduit, buried in the wall, for mechanical protection.
The length of the run from CU to cooker is 30 meters and a socket outlet is to be incorporated in the cooker connection unit.
Volt drop must not exceed 6v.

Give:

Rating of the protective device

Conductor CSA of cable selected

Confirm volt drop is within limit

A nice little domestic scenario - might be your first job:D

Have fun,

Wayne

Looks pretty basic stuff really which is covered on all the courses debated on this thread.
Do you need any help with this homework or are you ok?

Hi,

Probably is basic to anyone used to cable calcs, but I'd say 90% of our level 3 class were struggling a bit with this, so I have my doubts as to whether anyone on a short course would grasp it that easily - I'd like to be proven wrong:)

I think I've got it now but, anyone wants to volunteer an answer, feel free.

I think the second part of the question asked what would happen to your answers if you swapped out the 3036 for mcb/rcbo instead.

Cheers,

Wayne

The first thing you need to calc' is the design current (Ib) of your circuit. So what have you got for this and how did you come by that value?

Why have you been given 6v for vd?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have you been given 6v for vd?

Hi,

I think it's just so that we get used to being able to check it - I know the regs would allow higher than that.

I doubt that the whole scenario makes sense - it's just to get us to practise the calcs, I think.:)

I remember touching on this when I did the 17th edition but it hasn't really been mentioned since - it's mostly come back to me now, but I wasn't joking about most of the lads at college struggling with it.

Wayne

Hi,
but I wasn't joking about most of the lads at college struggling with it.
Wayne

Wayne,
I'm sure this is true but doesn't that kind of undermine the arguement about the 2330 college route being superior?;)

Anyway back to Mrs Jones' cooker, do you reckon it needs any additional protection?

Hi,

I don't know - this is what I'm trying to suss out - the levels of teaching in the different courses and the level of understanding that you come away with - I'm just going about it badly.:)

I don't think it undermines the course - It could be that the course is too difficult to be taken if you're not actually working in the industry - most of the lads at college aren't!

Sorry, forgot to answer your question,

I got Ib at 19.8A (after diversity) or 26.09A if your applying full rating.

So then selected a 20A BS3036

And yes, it would require additional protection because of the socket outlet, regardless of the cables being mechanically protected.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi,

I got Ib at 19.8A (after diversity) CORRECT or 26.09A if your applying full rating.

So then selected a 20A BS3036

And yes, it would require additional protection because of the socket outlet, regardless of the cables being mechanically protected.

Cheers,

Wayne

Ok, so how does your college tutor wish you to provide the required additional protection with a rewireable fuse?

Like I said, I think it's more to get us used to the calcs - or maybe thats why they threw in the second part of the question regarding the rcbo.

I did consider the rcd issue myself and thought probably an inline rcd next to the CU for additional protection and the 3036 for overcurrent, if this was an actual situation - failing that, splash out on a seperate rcbo in its own little enclosure - or lose the socket outlet ha ha:)

Like I said, I think it's more to get us used to the calcs - or maybe thats why they threw in the second part of the question regarding the rcbo.
:)

Or maybe a case of the 2330 lecturers not realising that they are giving a none valid problem.

Anyway regardless, what is the min amount of current your cable needs to be able to carry and what size cable have you selected?

I got it to 29A for the cable and selected 6mm - and the volt drop worked out fine.I think the socket was mentioned purely so we had to remember to allow for it in the diversity - and the 3036 is thrown in so that you have to apply the correction factor - as I say, purely a calcs exersise.

When do you do your 2391 prac, by the way, or have you already done it - got mine in the third week in January

Hi to all,

Just wanted to say thanks to this community and this thread. I work as a computer technician, but last year I decided for a career change to an Electrician. Something I have always thought about.

As im in full time employment, I needed a course I work at on my own pace. I looked around and finally decided to go for Access2Carreers. It was a tough decision as there are plenty of different options, but this course seemed right. Also due to feed back here, that made my final decisional. I signed up min November. The people I have spoken to so far have been kind, positive and very supportive. I received books and study material really quickly and before I knew it, well into study :)

I have not done my first week practical yet, but will be calling up about available dates very shortly. Im hoping to get my first practical out the way by the end of Fed, preferably sooner.

So still pretty much a newbie to this course, but so far good feedback.

Hope that is to some help to people deciding. I realise it is not the cheapest course around, but at the end of the day I want what is best for me (learning is individual) and if that means a little bit more for a better experience, then that is not a problem for me.

If anybody has any questions im more then happy to respond and I shall keep my progress updated. However, im well behind other people already on this course.

(GOOD LUCK - WayneL for your next practical) !!!

Barry

Hi all

just received the following e-mail

"It is with the very greatest regret that I have to write to you to tell you that having tried our very best we have been unable to secure ongoing funding for the company and accordingly as matters currently stand we are unable to continue to provide your training.

Arrangements are being made for an insolvency practitioner to be appointed and I am sure you will be hearing from him. No doubt you will want to discuss the position with him or an adviser.

Yours sincerely

Access2 Trade Careers"

Hope this gives any body who has recently signed up yhe heads up.

Will update when info comes available

I paid with a credit card so going to see if i can claim any money back, ut done 3 of the 4 modules to wont hols my breath ?

Graham

Not very happy tonight having got the email from Access2Trades i was booked on the electrical week 3 practical next week with two c & g exams, the first one being on Monday.:mad:

Still, i have only paid about half so i am hoping they wont try and take any more payments on the credit card. I am going to try and stop any more by contacting the credit card company.

I was also going to try contacting C & G to see if i am booked to do the exam on Monday and if so explain the situation and see if i can go to another C & G training centre on Monday to take the exam.

I hope this may give a couple of ideas to to some other trainees in a similar position as it may help rescue the situation a bit for me.

I'll keep updating as i get more info.

Hi All

Have just got home from hartlebury received a call at around 6pm telling us the site had closed down and not to turn up in the morning.....

Was on my 3rd week training session

Reply to Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net