Discuss Adverts making the forum unusable. in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

ferg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I know they pay the bills but there are so many it's making the forum unpleasant to visit.

Forum sponsors on the RHS.
A banner type thing at the bottom that I can minimise.
A banner at the bottom of every post.
Ads in the middle of posts.

At one point I had 2 lines of text on the screen and the rest was adverts
. Screenshot 2023-08-20 174318.pngScreenshot 2023-08-20 174612.png

Solution
Okay I got out of bed and disabled fully the auto ads feature and gone back to manual.

Right this second even subscribed will see some but they won't jump around or cover content.

But before the week is out I would have configured them all right.

Using Chrome with Ad Block extension, had an issue with processor going mental, but that has stopped, sadly another site i use wont work if i have ad block enabled so have to switch it on and off.
I enable that to collect some rough (not personal data) stats on how many are using such necessary evils. (Ad blockers)

I'd hope the sites you visit get some unblocked visits from time to time. Because if everybody blocked everything, everywhere all at once, the Internet would shut the...
All good things come to an end, I've heard, and they certainly have on here.
After a good couple of weeks relatively ad free on the laptop, they're back in force with a variation I've not seen before.
In a thread, most, but not all of the little orange horizontal bars at the start of each post, containing the poster's username, has expanded to fill most of the screen, and has a string of ads embedded in it.
Adblock + is installed and enabled, but they're getting through.

Nothing here and I have Adblocker disabled. Just checked ghostery and note that both Doubleclick and Google Adsense are both blocked there - I suspect that's why. I also block scripts (using NoScrpit) from Doubleclick and Googletagmanager.

Strangely they've disappeared again got me. Not sure why different people see the problem at different times.

Or me! @Dan has basically been working all day and night last week trying to fix the problems and as you all know he has only got one lung now and he had given himself a chest infection so he is back on the anti biotics. He has burnt himself out again.

I have got ads showing weirdly too today. Google has changed how they do things - our income has more than halved - so we are desperately trying figure out what new google want and apply it to the site.

I do apologise for this and I know it is annoying - I see it too and it is not great but we need to fix it and get back to how things were. I am really sorry for the inconvenience but promise it wont be like this forever.

Any subscribed members seeing ads PM me and I will try fix it for you.

Thanks for reading
Lou

Or me! @Dan has basically been working all day and night last week trying to fix the problems and as you all know he has only got one lung now and he had given himself a chest infection so he is back on the anti biotics. He has burnt himself out again.

I have got ads showing weirdly too today. Google has changed how they do things - our income has more than halved - so we are desperately trying figure out what new google want and apply it to the site.

I do apologise for this and I know it is annoying - I see it too and it is not great but we need to fix it and get back to how things were. I am really sorry for the inconvenience but promise it wont be like this forever.

Any subscribed members seeing ads PM me and I will try fix it for you.

Thanks for reading
Lou

Don't worry about it - health is more important. It's never worth risking your health.

I have got ads showing weirdly too today. Google has changed how they do things - our income has more than halved
Sorry to hear that. I had found this thread to ask about adverts at they were getting quite impressive. But having read the above I decided to subscribe instead. This place is easily worth £20 a year to me. 5p a day.
Maybe if more people subscribed it could take some of the stress off Dan and help eventually move the direction of travel away from a dependence on google's business model....

Sorry to hear that. I had found this thread to ask about adverts at they were getting quite impressive. But having read the above I decided to subscribe instead. This place is easily worth £20 a year to me. 5p a day.
Maybe if more people subscribed it could take some of the stress off Dan and help eventually move the direction of travel away from a dependence on google's business model....
Thank you so much for understanding Tim it means a lot to us.

I'm currently seeing 10 'Livescorebet' adverts + 3 other ones in the list of forum posts !

Also, because they don't always appear straight away, I sometimes click on a post I want to read but unwittingly click on the advert that has just appeared.

I still don't understand why for the vast majority of the time I have zero adverts, but then every so often it goes mad for a few days.

I know mate! Google keeps putting them where we haven't told them to. Driving us insane! Dan was up till 5am again and back on it at 10.

Ads have never really been an issue for me as they've been easy to deal with, I used to subscribe as a means of supporting the forum, but decided against renewing due to constant updates to Adsense which I had no way of getting around.

I may reconsider this after reading recent posts.

Reply to Adverts making the forum unusable. in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net