Discuss Advice on Isolation for Oven in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jon Hodgson

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've got with a kitchen.

The problem is the isolation point for a double oven, there is no wall within the 2m distance where the isolation point needs to be located.

The location for the oven is on a return run of units that joins onto a run of units that's glass from the work top up. By the time a complete wall is available the distance between the oven and that wall is 2.5m at a minimum.

A few possibilities I have are to mount the isolation point on the end panel for the run under the worktop, or to locate a modular popup to use on it but all in all its proving a bit of a headache.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to over come this?

Thanks

Jon

Yes don't fit one locally.

I don't have a building regulations book in front of me but I'm pretty sure they don't insist on local isolation and as long as you adhere to regulation 537.2.1.5 and 537.2.26 then it can be anywhere really.

Hi Jon.
I assume you mean glass splash backs above worktops.
In an adjacent unit or as you say on the end under workshop. Best endeavours under the circumstances.

Mark

the 2m rule is only a recommendation. if it's impossible to fit within 2m, then go for 2.5m -3mm.as malcolm says. there's no specific reg. taht says you must have local isolation for a cooker.

I would install at the 2.5M mark as you have no other choice by the sounds of it and log it on your EIC as a departure from BS7671. Putting it in a cupboard although not specifically advised against could be argued that it was inaccessible in an emergency, etc. Make sure the switch is clearly labelled as 'Cooker'. Not much more you can do really.

I'd love to say its glass splash back but its a full glazed window. From the way the plans show it the worktop is going to be the window board on that run of units which also contains the sink.

Having read the regs that you put Malcolm I'm still a tad confused does 537.2.1.5 mean that I can't use a standard 45a Single Plate switch?

"provision shall be made so that the means of isolation can be secured in the open position"

a 45A switch can be secured open by use of a lock off device.

140.jpg

Technically no you have to use a lockable type isolation switch or one that has a removable handle. You can use something like this if you want to site it near the CU say

3305229731744040_1.jpg

Of course not many people want something like this in the home, but sometimes you have to get round things

sometimes you have to get round things

​or even square things.

from esc website.

Q35. Is a cooker switch or cooker control unit required to be provided as means of emergency switching for an electric cooker?

A. Generally, cooker switches and cooker control units are provided as a local means of isolation and switching off for mechanical maintenance.

In most cases, the controls incorporated in a cooker can be used to remove the source of heat if danger arises.

However, a cooker switch or cooker control unit may also be provided as a means of emergency switching if the designer of the electrical installation decides that it is necessary, in which case it must be located so as to be readily accessible.

Reply to Advice on Isolation for Oven in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net