Discuss Advise please? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
photo3.JPGphoto2.JPG

Hi Guys, as you can see I`ve got a DC isolator either side of the inverter. Also incorparated into that enclosure on the right I`ve got a DP Ac isolator with a 16A MCB.

Q1. I`ve got a generation meter to install downstairs along side that mess you see in photo 2, am I correct in saying that I need an enclosure between the G meter and the DNO supply which would require a 40A 30mA RCD in it?

Q2. would I just connect to the supply side of the incoming mains?

Cheers

well thats mains is nitemare!! personally i would of said get the lot sorted!! but hey hoe its a job ! sep 16amp breaker next to that mess in own enclosure with rcd as it looks like a TT OH yeh sep earth rod for your own sake!!! sorry i ment to say take 16amp out of loft!blank off and move downstairs in the enclosure!!just saves on money also if it trips u dont have to get torch out!!

you need to have a rotary double pole isolator in the loft, not a main switch type.
If it's a TT supply then you need to cut into the tails before your main switch isolators/earth leakage devices. Using 16mm tails you would then feed a garage sub board with a type B RCD (as available from Sibberts) and a 16A breaker. If you don't need to have an RCD for reasons under 1771 then don't use one. I believe that although the 4000TL (which I think you are using) is tranformerless I believe it has an earth leakage device that satisfies the RCD requirement for not having electrical seperation (but not if one is required for other reasons under 1771). I don't use them so someone else may be able to clarify this. If you do need an RCD it should be a 100ma type B.
Don't be tempted to use the household RCDs for reasons explained at length on other posts. If you are TNCS or TNS then still use tails before the main switch and fit a non RCD garage board if no RCD is required.
Powervan is right, the whole birds nest really needs sorting out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the seperate RCD enclosure, I'd be surprised if this wasn't a TT setup.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether you need a type B RCD for this. In my opinion, you do not.

Reply to Advise please? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net